• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

long or xtra long

Buster

I'm thinking of buying a Nissan extra long shaft (25") vs a long shaft(20") 6 hp outboard for my 23 M2. Is there anyone with an opinion one way or another? I figure deeper is better for those rough days, right?:confused:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Long

Buster- Purchase what will work for you. I believe that a long shaft will work great for you. Yes, deeper is better. If your in rolling waves, you will enjoy the LS. Rob Hessenius

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
One thing to keep in mind is where the prop ends up with the extra long shaft. On my E23 Mk1 I lower the trolling motor as low as I can without interfering with the rudder. The shaft on the motor would let the motor go deeper but it would hit the rudder. The Mk2 has a transom hung rudder so it might not be an issue.

TwistedLogic

Member II
Smaller?

I just re-powered my 23' Mark2 with a 3.5 hp long shaft Mercury. I am really happy with the performance. I have yet to push it above 1/2 throttle. I previously had an 8hp Honda from the previous owner, which was way to much motor. If you don't need the charging system and you want to save $ and weight, I would consider the 3.5 Also, it has an integral fuel tank, so you get rid of the fuel line! Tohatsu makes the 3.5 for the Tohatsu, Nissan & Mercury brand names, so pick your poison.
ps: Without giving a "commercial endorsement" my local "National Brand" retail marine store knocked 25% off of the sticker price and beat out all of the internet guys on price, and it was a special order.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Motor Issues

Just repowered my E27 with the extra long shaft Tohatsu. Works great. The previous 20" long shaft would pop out out of the water when I went forward to drop the head sail. The new 4 stroke is quiet and has more low-end power. However, it is a close fit in the transom opening (cant stear with the motor anymore) and sticks further out the back when raised.

You may want to consider using a mounting bracket (stationary or retracting) with a short or long shaft motor. This would move the prop away from the rudder and give you the necessary depth. Once you buy and try the motor, I don't think it will be easy to return.

Bought my 9.8 HP @94lbs over the internet. Big Box! Lots of Styrafoam but didn't pay for shipping!

Good luck on your desicion.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27
Antioch, CA

Bob in Va

Member III
shaft length

I just measured my 5hp Mercury (my boat is a '76 Mk 2 E23) and it's 20" from the prop axis to the "step" on the shaft housing and about 26" from the prop axis to the mounting clamp bolts - I don't know which length mine is, officially, but it works well for a lake environment. In bigger or choppier wave conditions a longer shaft would no doubt be better. The motor has enough power to push the boat at hull speed at about 3/4 throttle, but it has noticeably more vibration than the 7.5 Evinrude twin I used before. However. losing 15 lbs off the transom was worth it to me. One factor you might want to consider is that when the motor is raised and tilted, you want the lower end to clear the water. The longer shaft model might not do that - mine just touches the water when we are heeled to port.

richmcn

Member I
I'm thinking 2 stroke extra long

you probably have some good swells

I have a Johnson Sailmaster 7.5 XLS 25" bracket to top of cav plate (proper measurement)

It is on a bracket that is set a little low, so the prop drags when I lift it up, but when I tilt it forward and out it is completely out of the water

It is a two stroke and 55 pounds, probably the upper limit weight wise of what you want on the stern

I don't know if you are looking at a nissan 4 stroke or 2 stroke

I think their 4's are heavier, and I'd be concerned about compromising sailing performance, enough that if I had to get a 4 stroke, I'd try to keep the weight below 55 lbs long or extra long depending on availability

By the way, for environmental reasons, ultimately I want to go 4 stroke

rich mcn
neegee
e23