• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

St. Mikes Race this Weekend

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Was fun but light air. We never had more than 5kts and mostly 2-3kts of breeze. We ended up 6th in Division: PHRF A3 (14 boats). We beat everyone we owed time to and a lot that owed us time. The J-105 class started 20 minutes ahead of us andwe sailed through most of them to finish ahead scratch. Must have been the light air and their small jibs. The best part was the downwind leg coming up eastern bay with our new assym. We passed several boats all of which owed us time. We went by a C&C 99 with their carbon rig like they were standing still. Quite an accomplishment in 5kts of breeze downwind on a nearly 20 year old cruiser... Overall the boat performed amazingly well in super light conditions. We had a great start and managed to hang upwind with some very fast boats. I expected this kind of performance in heavy air but never light air. See results here:

http://www.cbyra.org/postedResults.aspx

Look at the Annapolis to Miles River race.

Emerald

Sounds like fun, and a good prep for the race that's really important - the E-38's vs other Ericsons in about a month :D

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Showing the flag

Great job, Ted! There's some luck in every race, but most of it you make yourself. There is an almost evil pleasure in beating deep pockets with a smaller wallet. I'll bet you re-ran that race more than once before you fell asleep that night...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Still re-running that race. Wishing we had more breeze but it was very rewarding to see the boat perform that well against much newer designs in 2-3kts of breeze. Next event for us will be the E-38 race/raft up on the 30th, but I won't have my full crew, just wife and kids for that one. After that its Gov Cup August 3rd.

John Butler

Member II
Way to go Ted! We (my daughter and fiancée) were out cruising this weekend and looking for wind in the hot weather. We left the dock late on Saturday after hitting the pool in the morning because of lack of wind, headed south on Sunday because it was upwind and cooler and then motored back on Monday because it was downwind in light air (put up our asym for a bit without the main and topped out at 1.4 kts). I'm hoping for better wind when we sail to Shaw Bay the end of June. I think I'll have my partner in the Lightning and his fiancée (also a dinghy sailor) and my fiancée. So we'll have good racing experience aboard, but light on the big boat and point to point racing experience.

John

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Atta boy, Ted!

Nice work-keep in mind though that relatively speaking the 38 is at its' best in light air-and somewhat less so in bigger air. Lots of sail and a short(ish) WL really help in the light air, while they hurt a bit in heavy air...You should do well in most conditions, but really shine in the light stuff compared to similarly rated cruiser/racers..
S

e38 owner

Member III
light air

I have found that our e 38 is very hard to beat in the light stuff. I have also found that in heavy weather some of the new designs with the big back ends do much better.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Yeah I am thinking that in heavy air I may not do as well. Esp. with the jib I have now. Will need to save up for a good #3 blade. Wonder if I can get one with out battens that will still be a good performer?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
#3's

If you build a blade-or high aspect non-overlapping sail without battens you will need to hollow the leech quite a bit-with will reduce performance at the lower-mid ranges of the sail. By nature, a high aspect jib, just like a high aspect main like yours, will have high leech loads (again unless you really hollow the leech out-look at furling mains and you will see they have almost zero-even negative roach. That is because without battens the cloth cannot support the loads of a straight leech), and need battens to support it.

One answer is to use the new flexible furling battens-they can be vertical battens, or in the normal configuration, but are designed for furling: J-105's use them very effectively....

So, a # 3 without battens will have no roach (another way of saying a hollowed-out leech), and accordingly less area along the back of the sail. It will be worse in the usual range of the sail and not point as well-just like a main without battens will suffer going to windward..

Make sense? It is a Monday, after all!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Seth. Thats pretty much what I was thinking. What are your thoughts on the furling battens? It would be nice to get a racing 3 out of kevlar or some aramid but I would really like to be able to leave it on the furler say with a dacron UV cover. Then again flaking a 3 isn't that bad, its the 1 that is a PITA.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Works 4ME

I have had very good experiences with them on the J 105 and Farr 395's-both of which need them for the class sails.

I think you wil be happy with them.

Enjoy!

S