• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Starter removal

WBurgner

Member III
I seem to have a bad solenoid on the starter and would like to have the starter rebuilt. Has anyone removed the starter on an E-38? First impression is that not all of the connecting bolts are accessable and very little room is available. Diagrams in the Universal service manual are not too good.

If anyone has gone through this I would appreciate your comments.

Bill
E381 Totem

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have not removed the starter on my E38 however I do have some ideas on how it may be done. First thing to do is disconnect the heavy battery cable going to the starter! You don't have to disconnect it at the starter just yet but disconnect it and tape the end off to prevent it from touching a positive battery post. I am guessing that the starter is fastened to the bellhousing with at least two bolts. Likely, these bolts will be pointing towards the bow. This may seem like they are difficult to reach however a very long 3/8ths drive extension, say 24", should reach them just fine down that long narrow passageway on the port side of the engine. Sears and any decent parts store will sell these extra long extensions. Once the starter is loosened it will be much easier to move/rotate/twist to get the battery cable, solenoid wire, etc. off. Then the starter should come straight forward and out. Hope this helps.... RT

WBurgner

Member III
E38 Starter Removal

Thanks Rob,
The boat is two hours away so it will have to wait until Friday to take another look. There is very little room to work in that area and I would think that removal of the exhaust elbow and heat exchanger (and all the associated hoses) may need to removed to get access to that end of the starter,

I will let you know what I find, Rob. Meanwhile if anyone else out there has done this and can offer advice I would appreciate it.

Bill

Royal Wave

I pulled my starter twice last year because I thought I had a bad solenoid. I have the 38-200 with the engine under the sink so getting the starter out was not too difficult. I would disconnect the battery before attempting to take it off. Turns out it was not the solenoid, it was the factory wiring that wasn't letting enough juice through to activate the solenoid. I rewired per the universal engine mods shown in the owners projects area on this site and the starter is acting like its brand new. The only thing I did was clean the contacts the first time I took the starter out, worked ok for about a month, but then it would stop working for no reason. Its not necessary to pull the starter to do the wiring modifications. I'd try that first.

Jeff
1986 38-200

WBurgner

Member III
Starter Wiring

Thanks Jeff,
I think you have the right idea. I read through the archives and similar posts on the Torrensen Marine site. I am going to try the re-wire. Hopefully I can get it done Friday and I will post the results.
Bill

E381 Totem

WBurgner

Member III
E-38 Starting

After some effort I have determined that the wiring modification to #10 was accomplished by the PO. I say some effort because to remove the back cover from the engine panel I needed to remove/move electrical switches and wiring for the generator. In the process of tracing wires I found a loose connection at the key switch. Once tightened the engine turns over quickly. Hopefully that will turn out to be the issue. I could not get much more done in the cockpit exposed to the rain and wind.

I did determine that the starter is attached by a bolt and a stud accessed from forward facing aft. This according to the parts manual diagram provided by Torresen Marine. Should it come to that, it will be a tight squeeze but possible to remove. FWIW Torresen sells a replacement starter for $240 if you do not want to go with the Universal starter which sells for $909.

Bill

E381 Totem
Bradenton, FL