• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New twist on leaking portlights

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Well the Bomar factory rep was out to the boat tonight and they agree that this is a manufacturing defect and will do whatever I want to make it right. They have offered to replace all the portlights, refund my money or seal the seam in the extrusion. I certainly like the fit and finish or their portlights over the Lewmars which look kinda cheap on the inside. Of course I don't want to install 6 new Bomars and find some of them leak. I will probably get 6 new ones and do some thorough testing on them before installing them.

Emerald

This is very good to hear. I think I would be inclined to work through this with them. Perhaps they will help with the installation of the replacements. It would be good for both of you for knowing that the product was correct on fit and seal to your boat as well as basic construction, and hence leak free.

Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Did they tell you how the seam on the extrusion is "sealed". It does not seem to be welded; is it epoxy? How do they propose to repair it? (Interested in case I have to repair mine.)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The factory rep could not tell me much Geoff. It appears the seam is simply stamped together with some type of press with a piece of black gasket in between. We pulled one of the gaskets out last night and you could deffinately see how water may get sucked in with capilary action. He could not tell me if a process had not been completed on the portlight or if there is a problem with the manufacturing process itself. I am taking a chance by getting six more from them but plan on testing them thoroughly before installing. I also asked that the factory test them before shipping. I will be removing this gasket on the remaining portlights and sealing them with some lifecaulk to hold me over until I get the new ones installed.

BTW, the factory rep was not too happy to hear the price I paid for the portlights as it was much less than what his customers sell them for.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Latest update: The factory rep got back to me and is agreeable to my terms. He also stated that they are changing the manufacturing process to seal the seem with a marine sealant rather than using the gasket. I guess that is the process they use on their OEM portlights that are powdercoated. J-boats uses these.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Just so I'm clear, are we talking about the "gasket" that appears as a dark line joining the two ends of the extrusion at the top of the port?