• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Splashed and some minor issues

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Well, we hit the water today and all is well. Tomorrow we go up and continue on the projects. During the day today we had some heavy downpours and I have known about some minor leaks that I was too busy to troubleshoot.

One is around a couple of the new portlights(Bomar). I noticed a drop of water hanging off one of the aluminum blocks that the dogs attach to so I removed the block which screws into the main frame of the portlight. When I did, a lot of water poured out through the screw hole. So water is getting inside of the extruded frame and I cannot figure out how. The only holes in the frame(top hinge) are inside the boat and well inside the sealing surface of the frame. The only thing I can think of is around the vertical seam that is at the top of the frame. This is a factory sealed frame so I am wondering if the unit is defective. Two of the six have shown the leak and I removed the screw to find the water. The other four seem dry but I have not checked the screw. Any other ideas?

My other leak culminates on the floor pan under the sole in front of the fuel tank. I can see where water is seeping under the vertical front of the Q berth just ahead of the tank. No sign of water in the access hatch near the rear of the Q berth and the line for the Qberth dorade appears dry. Maybe a leaky scupper hose?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I was out to the boat today to get the engine commisioned and test the new prop(works great F&R). The scupper hoses look original so I will replace those tomorrow.

The small seals at the top of the portlights seem to be loose. I will call Pompanette on Monday to see what they have to say.

BTW Loren, I used a very similar battery setup in my Pearson 28 a few years ago. I love the Trojan batteries. Unfortunately I was forced to buy WM batteries for this boat(time and location contraints). Luckily I was able to get a deep discount. Also went with 2 6V(220Ah) and one dual purpose group 31(80 Ah). I use a Xantrex Link 20 to monitor the performance and so far the 6's has perfomred flawlessly.

Last edited: