• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar Superhatch

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the Lewmar Superhatch on my 1987 E-34 this week and have the old hatch available if anyone is interested.

It is the Size 60, approximately 22" square with a flat base, no flange. The hinges need to have the rubber parts replaced for it to stay up reliably, the lens is crazed and has a minor leak that I put up with for the last 10 years. FWIW, it doesn't leak in the vent position.

It would be an easy way to rebuild a hatch without having your boat open for an extended time.

If you are interested please contact me by E-MAIL: trmetzger@earthlink.net

Attachments

• Fore hatch 012A.jpg
    Fore hatch 012A.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Member III
What did you replace it with?

I believe that is the same hatch on my 30+. Were you able to find an exact fit replacement?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Lemar's Ocean 60 flat base fits perfectly. You can't use the low or medium profile hatches without moving fiberglass because they have a flange.

Select Plastics is full of it :mad: when they talk about your having to do fiberglass work because of the difference in radius on the corners and the cutout size.

The pic on the left is the old hatch, and the other two are the new one.

Attachments

• Fore hatch 012A.jpg
    Fore hatch 012A.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Fore hatch 025A.jpg
    Fore hatch 025A.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Fore hatch 026A.jpg
    Fore hatch 026A.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 444

WhiteNoise

Member III
Looks Great!

Nice job. I'm going to measure mine to see if it's the same. If it is I am going to do the same.

As far as Select Plastics, I wasn't real happy with them either. I got a quote from them to recondition the aforementioned hatch and put in new hatch dogs. The quote exeded the price of a brand new hatch...ridiculous. If you were to do the job yourself it would be well worth it ... I just have far too many projects going presently.

Anyway, again, compliments on the job well done. I'm jealous. ;)

Have a good one.
-Chris

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
Tom,

When you say fits perfectly, do you mean to the extent that the screw holes line up, or did you have to do a little filling and drilling?

Hatch looks great.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that when I replaced our Lewmar Ocean series size 70 fore hatch, some of the screw holes lined up exactly - and some did not. Thickened West system epoxy filler was inserted and holes re-drilled.
That was one of the easier parts of the project.
Same situation when we replaced the size 20 small hatch on the housetop.

Loren
'88 O-34

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Paul - The holes are on the same line, but did not interfere as the old hatch had 6 screws per side and the new one has only four. I filled the old holes.

Only one screw had a bad head and had to be drilled out. Not bad out of 24.

:egrin: I must point out that this is the "For Sale" forum, and I had hoped that someone might want a hatch to rebuild before opening holes in their boat.

Paul please note: There is no shipping cost to Rock Hall, MD.

Last edited: