• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

what is this access panel for?

gypsyrecs

Member I
Hello,

I noticed some water in the starboard settee locker on my 1985 E32-3 and opened up the access panel that is located there (they have them on the port side to). The fiberglass strips were still damp here from a rough sail the previous day. I think water may be coming in through the rudder post. But what are the access panels for? I looked in the manual and found no reference. I'll try to attach some pictures. The keel was recently faired and the bottom painted and the shaft recently stuffed too, so I can't figure out where else the water is coming from. It tasted salty.

Attachments

• IMG00078.jpg
    IMG00078.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG00079.jpg
    IMG00079.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 111

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like the TAFG was tabbed to the hull in each area, and then covered with a plate to give a finished appearance.
ya think?

Loren

JMCronan

Member II
I assumed it allows access for a thru hull without having to deal with the liner. And that's exactly where I installed a thru hull.
As to water in the compartment, I haven't noticed that problem but I'll check. All I can think of is if you had quite a bit of water in the bilge and
it got into the locker while on starboard tack. This would be possible in my boat seeing as there is a 1.5 in drain hole to get the water out of the locker. However, on starboard tack with a lot of water in the bilge it might work in reverse.

gypsyrecs

Member I
got it, makes sense. I need to go down below on a lumpy day to see if water is coming in the rudder post like I suspect. Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I had a friend who had salty water leaking in when heeling hard only on starboard tack and he could not find the source. Turned out to be the holding tank vent which was good news because the only other source would have been the deck/hull joint.

gypsyrecs

Member I
actually, now that you say that, I swear I could smell an holding tank odor only on the starboard tack. So how does it leak in through the vent? Is there anything you can do about it?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The vent is a separate fitting that is bedded to the hull. You can get leakage either through that seal or if the hose is not properly secured. Get it heeled over and check for leaking or wetness around the inside of the fitting.