• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27- Installing an internal gas tank

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
I have a Honda 8hp mounted on the transon of my 1974 Ericson 27. I am planning on installing a permanent tank, and was curious if anyone else had done this, or had suggestions. My understanding from Honda is they recommend no more than 6 feet of fuel line and 3 feet of elevation. I am at this point considering installing the tank under the steps in the cabin or in the transon locker. Thoughts? The actual setting up of the tank seems simple, but I am looking for other input. I actually went to the West Marine web site and saw a nice diagram in one of their West Advisors for installing a permanent tank. Just looking for suggestions on things I might have missed. Thanks.

Nigel

Ray Rhode

Member III
Nigel,

Have not had any personal experience with your situation but would be very concerned about mounting a gas tank inside the cabin because of the potential for escaping gas fumes. There are some USCG rules for permanent fuel systems in new boats and I would attempt to follow them if possible. The cockpit locker sounds better but there still is the problem of venting any gas fumes which escape the tank.

Ray Rhode