• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Work List - Maine Marina?

jthistle

Member II
Hi folks...

Just Joined and need advice on a Marina for Launch and Checkout in Northern Maine - (mabey Eastport). (not Much Action on the Northeast Forum - so I'm trying Here) Just Bought 1972 E 35II - #268. Having the boat trucked to Maine from New Bern. N.C...then some work...checkout and Sailing to St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Problem is I need a economical Marina/Boatyard to recieve the boat and spend a week or two getting ready for splash and sail... Looking for recomendations for general maintenance and checkout, Step mast...etc. There are a pile of options but first hand advice is appreciated. PM or email if you feel inclined. (Mods...move the post if not in the right place.)

thanks a bunch...

Jason (Cross Boarder Shopping)
E35II #268

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Yacht services get really scarce once you pass Mount Dessert Island, going East. That country up there is very much fishing community, and there are few yachts. You'll have trouble finding the same service and knowledge that you'll get from yards around MDI and Penobscot Bay. It won't cut much time off your trip to sail from Eastport, as opposed to the mid-coast. I don't think it'll be worth the trouble.

The yards on MDI are plentiful but expensive, generally speaking. There are others on the mainland around Frenchman and Blue Hill bays though. And there are many good yards in Penobscot Bay (Wayfarer Marine in Camden, probably being the most reputable).

A little further down the coast, Phinn Sprague's Yard - Portland Yacht Services is a full-service outfit, and very well-liked.

Good luck, Nate

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sorry Nate but I have to disagree. PYS is not very well respected in the Portland area. I have a few friends who did business with Phinn and came out many thousands of dollars poorer. His yard is not very good either. He tends to hire low wage kids that do not know much about working at marinas. One did substantial cosmetic damage to my Pearson when I came in for a pumpout one day. They also have a very exposed dock. It used to be much better when BIW had their drydock out but now the boats there get beat up on a daily basis from the prevailing winds. Don't get me wrong, he has some amazing craftsmen working for him but he is overpriced and quite arrogant. He also does not watch over the boats very well in the off season. Many local vagrants have had some pretty swank homes in those boats.

Jason, my recommendation for a great, full serice yard would be Brewers in Freeport. Call John Brewer. He is a great guy. I have never had a problem and consider John a friend. I am also friends with one of the mechanics there. If you want to save a little cash the next bet would be Finest Kind in S. Harpswell. Call Lorna. She is wonderfull and can let you know if they can help you.

jkm

Member III
I concur-not much outside of Cumberland County is reasonable.

Brewers is good with a reputation as fair.

Maybe Tim will make a comment about Handy's in Falmouth, use to be fair when Merle Hallet ran it.

Sprague's have always been able to make a buck off you. They own most of the west end of Cape Elizabeth and good chunk of Cushman's and they got it the old fashion way-they took it.

Jason I 'd love to see some pictures of your baby when you get her.

John

jthistle

Member II
Thanks for the comments. I'm still interviewing and trying to get the best value for my BUC. (Boating Unit of Currency). Boat is in rough shape - cosmetically. Engine, Structure and Rig is Good. Bottom freshly done (never splashed). Good Chance I will reconfig interior. I just need a spot to check out and spalsh and provision for the coastal cruise home (to Newfoundland).

Talking with A guy from www.easternmostmarine.com . Anyone know of this outfit?

Work list
Here is the work list as identified.​
  • Clean entire inside and outside of boat, remove all mildew, clean bilges, shine and oil wood with protectant, clean cushions, air out boat.​
  • Fiberglass repair to bow. Needs sanding, flaring and primer paint. Re-bed stantchions and bow pulpit.​
  • Repair electric connections at each junction on panel Check out all electric components.​
  • Replace wood rub rails. Suggest hardwood primed and painted. No need for teak as painted anyway​
  • Check out engine entirely assure ready for trip.​
  • New Batteries. I think it needs (2).​
I'll post some pics or a blog or something...when I get closer to the boat. John...looks like we have sisters. Thanks for your comments tim...Candor is a blessing.

all the best
Jason

jthistle

Member II
Thanks for the comments. I'm still interviewing and trying to get the best value for my BUC. (Boating Unit of Currency). Boat is in rough shape - cosmetically. Engine, Structure and Rig is Good. Bottom freshly done (never splashed). Good Chance I will reconfig interior. I just need a spot to check out and spalsh and provision for the coastal cruise home (to Newfoundland).

Talking with A guy from www.easternmostmarine.com . Anyone know of this outfit?

Work list
Here is the work list as identified.​
  • Clean entire inside and outside of boat, remove all mildew, clean bilges, shine and oil wood with protectant, clean cushions, air out boat.​
  • Fiberglass repair to bow. Needs sanding, flaring and primer paint. Re-bed stantchions and bow pulpit.​
  • Repair electric connections at each junction on panel Check out all electric components.​
  • Replace wood rub rails. Suggest hardwood primed and painted. No need for teak as painted anyway​
  • Check out engine entirely assure ready for trip.​
  • New Batteries. I think it needs (2).​
I'll post some pics or a blog or something...when I get closer to the boat. John...looks like we have sisters. Thanks for your comments tim...Candor is a blessing.

all the best
Jason

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sorry Nate but I have to disagree.
No worries. I'll gladly defer to you guys down there with first-hand experiences. I've been in to see the higher end work that Phinn and his crew have done (including Lion's Whelp) and I was very impressed. But I can't comment on his service to the average joe the way you can.

I also had a friend who reconditioned their own boat in his space one winter, and they found him helpful and accommodating. But perhaps it's not so great when you're having him provide the workers.

Nate

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Brewers has a great reputation now but not cheap. Handy's is not good. Lots of horrow stories and most expensive yard in the US when considering that they have charged people for work they never did and then held the boat hostage. BTW, Merle's son runs the business now and Merle has become somewhat of an icon in the sailing circles.

PYS is the only yard in S. Maine that is advertising heavily on the radio right now. I would have to wonder which marketing genuis decided that it is a good idea to spend advertising dollars at the busiest time of the season, unless of course if PYS really is not that busy right now.