• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Connecting GPS to DSC VHF

WBurgner

Member III
Can anyone direct me to a source of help in making the wiring connections to link a GPS to a DSC VHF? The manuals for each unit are no help so far.

Anyone else try this? The marketing makes a big deal of this very valuable feature, yet there is no commonality of connectors on the cables and the wire pin-out diagrams are not specific enough for me to identify how to make the connections.

Resources for this task are limited here in the Abacos, so help from the group would be appreciated.

I am using the VHF600 from West Marine (Uniden) and the Furuno GPS-32.

Bill Burgner
E381 Totem

Howard Keiper

OK, First things first.

Get used to the idea that the GPS is a 'talking' device. It provides data, does not accept it. It's communication, therefore, is limited to DATA output. This is
called (in this instance) NMEA OUT.

Your DSC VHF is a 'listening' device. It accepts data, does not provide it. (not exactly true, but as you state your question it is). It's communication will be NMEA IN.

What you've got to do is connect the GPS NMEA OUT to the VHF NMEA IN. The best way to do this is to connect the signal wire of each to the same terminal on a barrier strip, with the respective shields, or 'grounds' together on another terminal. Assuming that the serial data protocol is the same for both devices (it usually is), you should see your positional data displayed on your VHF.

It is possible for your VHF to be able to 'poll' another radio under the DSC protocol for IT'S GPS position and transmit those data to your VHF or display. In this instance, your VHF can also be a 'talking' device, and will have a NMEA OUT function.too,..connect this to your display.

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

WBurgner

Member III
GPS to DSC

Thanks Howard,
I have a reasonable understanding of the basics and your post gives me a little more confidence in what I thought I knew.

My primary problem is Furuno's instructions come solely in the form of an engineering drawing with abreviations I do not recognise. Not being an EE I am at at loss for determining which wires to connect. The GPS side has two groups of connecting wires leading out: Data 1 and Data 2. Data 1 is for External Equipment and Data 2 is labeled RS-232C which would be for a PC.

The Drawing shows two wires leading to the receiving equipment. On the GPS side they are labeled TD-H and TD-C/SG. On the external equipment side they are labeled RD-H and RD-C respectively. The second wire (TD-C/SG) also is used in the RS-232 connection.

The radio documentation only shows the pin-outs of the accessory cable. It shows one wire labled GPS Data In. Easy enough, but logic tells me a second wire is needed and I assume that to be a ground which is labeled.

If that logic is correct and Data 1 is the correct Furuno connection choice I only need to identify which of the Furuno wires is which. Would it be TD-H to GPS Data In, and TD-C/SG to ground, there reverse, or niether?

Is trial and error a choice here? Is it possible to do damage or would I just get no display until I got it correct? I can identify and stay away from the DC power wire while testing.

Howard, I hope you or someone else on the list can shed some light here . I also hope your commute to work this morning takes you no where near the Bay Bridge.

Bill
S/V Totem

Howard Keiper

See if this helps...

TD-H is Furuno's cutesy designation for Transmitted Data 'Hot' (NMEA Signal OUT. It's a white wire. TD-C is, of course, Transmitted Data 'Cold' (NMEA OUT, or signal ground. It's a blue wire. Connect the white wire from the GPS to the VHF NMEA IN; the blue wire to VHF NMEA ground. You should have both grounds connected together and the GPS OUT connected to the VHF IN. NEMA also designates the inputs and outputs with a (+) or (-)...+'s are always HOT, -'s are the corresponding grounds, more correctly called "returns'.

howard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Furuno trivia

http://furuno.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/furuno.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?p_sid=jUno1dkg&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=

This is the link to the email Q&A page on the FurunoUSA site. They used to post their phone # here as well, but I cannot find it today. :confused:
I believe that their US tech support site is still in Camas, WA, about 20 miles from me. They have, in the past, cheerfully (!) answered questions for me.
Perhaps they moved to a 'net-based system to filter and guide their responses to questions... In speaking to their reps a year ago at a local boat show, they encouraged calls for install help. :rolleyes:

I have their 1715 radar unit, self-installed a year ago. Admittedly, I am doubly-fortunate in having a strong Furuno dealer a block from my moorage, too!

Loren in Portland, OR

ps: Ah Ha! here is their page with a phone # :
http://furuno.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...nMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
GPS to DSC

Thank you Howard and Loren. I will try this hook-up in the morning.

I was feeling uneasy about trying my interpretation of the drawing, but Howard's information is pretty much what I was guessing, but it was just that...a guess. I thought the C might be for common, but that still would have been ground. I just did not want to tear into something like this without confirming information.

What a great source of information the list is. I will let you know how it goes tomorow.

Bill
SV Totem

newgringo

Member III
I just did this with my Standard Horizon VHF and a Garmin 498 GPS. Piece of cake. Garmin only shows NMEA Out and Standard only shows NMEA In. I did get a recommendation to use twisted 18 gauge wire from Raymarine. The GPS NMEA Out also is wired to my new Raymarine S1 Wheel Pilot which was why Raymarine was willing to help me with answers to my NMEA questions. Now, I would like to try the DSC out before I actually need it. I heard there is a way.

newgringo

Member III
DSC Test call

I have a MMSI number. After reading this morning I guess a test call can be made by sending to another boater by MMSI number. What I kind of wanted to know was if that would also send my Lon Lat like a true distress call would. Still learning about this. Hey, maybe at the June Port Townsend rondevoo we can do something to test all this gadgetry?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A True Test.....

You drink too much of that Apple Pie, and you may very well be "distressed."
;)

Loren
:cool: