• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How long do water heaters last?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I removed my water heater today, its a Safestor unit, 5 gallons I think, build date 2000. When I turned it over to drain it some REALLY nasty, rusty, black water dumped out. Lovely. Is this an issue? How long do marine water heaters last? This thing was a PITA to remove so if its nearing its end I would rather replace it now than later. If it is just a matter of cleaning it, then will simply flushing it do it?

Suggestions? Thanks, RT

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Water Heaters

Water heaters seem to really last 12- 16 years, kinda on the average. The lack of maintenance will shorten this time period too.Rob Hessenius

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure of exact dates, but I remember that our water heater was replaced at about 12 years. While not leaking, the outer steel shell was corroding away. The original engine coolant hoses were looking a little discolored from heat and I wanted to replace them with new.

When we got the box out on the dock and tilted it to drain the last quart or two out, the residue was also a little pile of gritty gray-ish oxide from the aluminum inner tank.
Ick. :rolleyes:
I replaced it with an Atlantic SS tank (both shell and inner tank) with improved insulation.

(In general, due to chlorine in city water supplies, I would advise against any brand of tank with an aluminum inner tank. Having the water sit in the tank during several months of non-cruising each year probably does not help, either.)

Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I drain mine at the end of the season. Has anyone ever heard of one of these things failing and getting engine coolant in the water? I have never taken one apart and mine seems to work fine but its something thathas always lurked in my mind. What if something corroded out and allowed engine coolant into my water system? How possible is that?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
AFAIK, the Safestor has a stainless tank and the housing is plastic so it won't rust or corrode too quickly. The part of the design that I don't like is there is no way to drain ALL the water out. Looked like about 1/2 gallon left when I up-ended it. Sure it would be nice to drain it at the end of every season but I'm not removing it just for that!

Regarding the chance of coolant ending up in your water, yes there is always a chance. The good part is that it would be in the hot water which likely you don't drink. I would think you'd smell the ethylene glycol pretty quickly if it did leak. I'm not going to loose any sleep over it just yet but like anything else on a boat it pays to be vigilant.

I repeatedly backflushed the heater today until the water came out nice and clear. Did the coolant circuit too.

RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
non toxic solution

Because of the remote threat of a coolant leak from the coils into our hot water tank we use a non-toxic coolant, Sierra brand. Costs more than the other kind, but it's nice to know that the potential problem is covered...
Loren

jreddington

Member III
A couple years ago, I replaced my Raritan. Not sure how good the tank was but the skin had nearly rusted to dust. Unfortunately, the nearest replacement had a minor design change that made it just too big to fit into the lazerette. However, was able to locate one of the box shaped ones with an aluminum tank and a stainless steel skin. Forget the brand but I think the same thing is being marketed by West Marine as a Force 10.

One drawback of aluminum is the possibility of galvanic corrosion to the tank. The installation manual specifically said that warranty was voided if the shore power system did not have a galvanic isolator. Not a problem for me since I'm on a mooring and even if I'm at a transient dock with power, I don't think I've plugged in the boat for years.

As for the coolant, yes when the engine is running and the water pressure is off, engine loop coolant is at a higher pressure and can conceivably leak into the hot water tank. Although hot water is mostly for washing, I don't want the most remote chance of injesting ethylene glycol. I always use a propylene glycol (non-toxic) based coolant. Last stuff I picked up was Prestone low-tox. Used to be carried at Wal-Mart but couldn't find it there last time. Not every auto parts store has it. You may have to check two or three different stores. Still, worth it for the piece of mind and only a buck or two more than a gallon of ethylene glycol.