• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Servicing E38/YS steering gear

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I removed the water heater, etc. so I could get to the steering gear to inspect it. I checked as much of the steering cable as I could and it is in pretty good shape as much as I could tell, no split strands, etc. No excess play in the pulleys although I was surprised that the pulleys did not appear to have ball bearings.

So the question is what more is there to do? I planned on liberally greasing the cable, pulleys, etc. Also going to remove the compass and check the chain, sprocket, bearings, etc. and grease them as well.

Lastly, there is a "groaning" noise coming from the rudder post/bearings. There is no play at the top of the post. I pushed/pulled the quadrant, etc. and its all tight. The packing appears to be quite sound, no evidence of leaks etc. I searched for a grease nipple on the rudder post and there isn't one. I have checked it thoroughly and its simply not there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
That's just about it

Hello again,

I had the compass out this past summer (replacing a bulb that didn't need replacing) and had a chance to take a limited look at the upper sprocket and chain. Nothing tricky there except seeing what you're doing and hoping you don't have to re-string the steering someday. I couldn't tell if there were any cable guides in the column, but I don't think there are. It's a pretty simple system and the below-deck bracket or bridge assembly that has the turning sheaves and the stop installed is nice. Get the tension right and you can't go wrong.

I don't see much grease on things below the deck, but the upper sprocket did have some visible. In all the stop to stop checking I was doing with a friend we didn't hear much noise except when the stop brushed against the quadrant.

Not sure what to say about the groaning in the rudder post. It could be a cable tension issue, but I doubt it. The structure in that area, and the quadrant, are put together really well on mine. I can't find a grease fitting either. I will evaluate what to do about that when I drop the rudder someday. I flashed a light down inside the post from the emergency rudder access on the cockpit floor last summer and saw a 3/8" ratchet extension lodged in there. Couldn't get it out, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Cheers,

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Steering Groan

I had this same groan in my steering on my Ericson32-3 except it is an Edson system. I found on the packing flange, one of the three adjusting screws had come loose so the flange was uneven on the shaft. I put longer screws with nylock nuts and a little blue loc tite and then readjusted the flange using a nickel as a guage and the groan went away and so did the drip I had. I am not framiliar with the Y.S. system but maybe this will help. Dan Callen Ericson32-3 Andiamo

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I will check the packing nuts but they all looked, felt quite tight when I was down there pulling on stuff. I am not sure exactly how the packing setup works on the rudder post. There appears to be a flange that bolts down vertically on the top of the rudder tube. I assume that there is packing inside this flange but I don't see how its adjustable as the only way it would work is to bolt the flange down tight. Its either on or off, not adjustable like a stuffing box. I will take another good hard look at it today. RT

Cory B

Sustaining Member
YS pulleys

We had to complete remove the YS steering system from our boat last year for repairs. Its not immediately obvious, but there may be easily replaceable bronze bushings between the pin and the pulley. Ours were in need of replacement and cost about $1 each on line, plus $10 shipping. :esad: Our previous boat also had YS steering, but did not have the bushings.... so I guess they may have slightly altered the design between 1975 and 1984.

The grease nipple on the rudder post on our rudder post was entering the land of non-existance as corrosion had unfortunately done its job. The one on the upper bushing was fine.

If you haven't already, you might want to pull the packing ring off to make sure that there is still packing in there and it hasn't all dissolved or something... its real easy to replace.

Also, since you are down there you should make sure the adjustable leads are the pulleys are angled correctly. One of ours was noticeable off.

- Cory

Cory B

Sustaining Member
bushings

Loren,

Yep. The bushings look identical. I think I may have ordered ours a 1/16" longer than the originals because in ours the sheave had a little side-to-side play in its housing, and I thought the loading might be a little better. Probably didn't matter though.

-Cory

PS So what do you call a steering quadrant when it goes all around the rudder post like that, instead of just a "quad"?