• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 shaft removal

Nicko

Can anyone advise me on the procedure to remove the propeller shaft on an E27 with an atomic4? The cutlass bearing has to be replaced and it seems the harder part of the job is removing the shaft. The bolt to the engine look rusty and there's not alot of room in there to maneuver. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Warning : do not over tighten the bolts

Step one soak all bolts with the penetrating oil of your choice and tap the bolts a few times to help the oil penetrate then re-soak and let set for a day or two to do its work.

The coupler and a socket just smaller than the shaft can be used to press the shaft out of the coupler. Not too much pressure or you will break or warp the coupler. You will probably need longer bolts than the ones used for install. There should be at least one bolt that enters the coupling from the side that holds the shaft in the coupling, this (these) must be removed replace be sure to tighten the bolts evenly. When you have the bolts fairly tight with the socket pressed between the shaft and the engine end of the coupling tap the coupling on the back so as to drive it toward the engine. Rotate the shaft frequently as not to place all the drive from one spot. This should press the shaft out of the coupler

The prop should break loose with just a tap after the nut is removed. To hold the prop and shaft (if needed) you can use a piece of pipe and a loop of rope. With the loop around the pipe and one blade on the prop and the pipe resting against the prop shaft you can hold the shaft to remove the nut.

The prop shaft should be offset enough to pass the rudder,

Warning : do not over tighten the bolts when pressing the shaft out of the coupling

tanksalot

Nicko:

How do you know the cutlass bearing has to be replaced, and, (to show my ignorance), where is the cutlass bearing?

The reason I'm asking is I'm pulling my Atomic 4 & replacing it with a F/W cooled one, and I'd prefer to do this kind of work, if necessary, with the engine removed. Anything else I should do?

Thanks!

Stan F.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
A Cutless bearing is a bronze tube, pressed into the strut which hangs down between your rudder and the point at which the shaft goes into the hull. Inside the bearing is a neoprene sleeve which is somehow attached to the bronze, perhaps by some sort of an adhesive.

The strut supports the shaft and prevents it from flailing around as the prop pushes the boat through the water. The Cutless bearing provides a surface for the shaft to rest on inside the strut.

Over time the neoprene wears down and sometimes it breaks loose from the bronze tube. This creates wobble and vibration.

One way to replace the bearing is by removing the shaft, assembling a hacksaw inside the bearing, taking a slice or two out of the bronze, and removing the old bearing. Then, using a big clamp, you press in a new bearing.

If you search this forum for "Cutless" or "cutlass" (which is not really the right way to spell it) you will see other ways of doing it, including one which requires a simple tool but doesn't require removing the shaft--just the prop.

A very good project if you are already removing the engine.