• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Life Lines Routing

timday5

Member II
I'm the new owner of a 1976 E-27. Replacing the life lines is on the project list. I've read the threads on the this site with interest.

There are a couple of issues that seem odd to me.

One is the way the life lines are routed inboard of the forward shroud, outboard of the middle shroud, and back inboard of the aft shroud - you'll probably have to look at the pic to see what I'm talking about.

Can I just have the new life lines routed outside of the shrouds?

The other is the way the life lines taper down to the fore deck instead of being attached to the pulpit at 24" from the deck.

Any issues with this?

Attachments

• Life Lines Shrouds Detail.jpg
    Life Lines Shrouds Detail.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Life Lines Fore Deck Detail.jpg
    Life Lines Fore Deck Detail.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 90

JMCronan

Member II
I'm not a E27 owner and I'm not sure about the first question. About the second, from the picture it looks to me that the lifeline is run to the deck so that it does not foul the genoa when close hauled. Another E27 owner may be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
to lace or not to lace

The lifelines are to the deck at the bow as stated by JMCronan to clear the headsail. The lacing of the lifelines between the shrouds looks like they were too long and this takes up slack. The E27 and E29 are close enough that I am sure that this is an install error. I don’t remember ever seeing the configuration on your boat. If you have the adjustment run them outside the shrouds.

When I bought my E29 the first thought was raise the lifelines at the bow. After the test sail I realized that the low lines made for a much better sail shape and I would never raise them off the deck at the bow.

timday5

Member II
Thanks

OH yea! Nice looking boat. You will love her. Welcome to the Ericson family

Thank you! As my son and I work our way through the layers of grime / mold from a year or so of neglect, we are discovering that she was once very well cared for and is in great condition. She's looking prettier and prettier. Just need the title to come in so our first sail doesn't result result in an enounter with the DNR police!

Is there a specified tension for life lines or is it just as tight as you can make 'em?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Condition" and "Age"

Life line tension -- snug, with no obvious slack. :nerd:

Note that if they are rusted around the swages, have any broken strands, any cracks in swages, OR are over 15 years old, replace 'em. Lots of good threads on this site about this little maint. project, including ideas for DIY replacement. Try the Search box above these forum threads.

As to routing, on similar small boats, I have sometimes seen the upper wire siezed to the outer shroud. (Never led back and inside of any other shrouds, though...)

LB

Last edited:

timday5

Member II
Life line tension -- snug, with no obvious slack. :nerd:

Note that if they are rusted around the swages, have any broken strands, any cracks in swages, OR are over 15 years old, replace 'em. Lots of good threads on this site about this little maint. project, including ideas for DIY replacement. Try the Search box above these forum threads.

As to routing, on similar small boats, I have sometimes seen the upper wire siezed to the outer shroud. (Never led back and inside of any other shrouds, though...)

LB

Thanks, Loren. I noted that there have been some intense discussions in this forum on the subject of DIY vs Pro, Amsteel vs SS, etc. The SS wires look gorgeous, but I don't want them to be the focal point compared to the rest of my little boat... and I like the idea of being able to rig the lines myself (using eye fittings). I'd be curious to hear from anyone who replaced their old vinyl-covered wire life lines with Amsteel or the like a couple of years ago... are you still happy with them?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Misrigged for sure

Yes-they should be outside the shrouds-This was done for some strange reason, but is incorrect. Get the right lengths and run outside!
S

Mike Thomas

Member II
All,
Why can't Tim use a high tech running rigging line. It looks like the breaking strength is about the same of SS cable, you get a choice of colors and it's easy to splice or knot?

Sta-Set X
Size Weight Tensile
lbs/100' g/m lbs kg
3/16" 1.2 17.9 1,600 726
1/4" 1.9 28.3 2,700 1,226
5/16" 3.4 50.6 4,400 1,998

New England V12
Size Weight Tensile
lbs/100' g/m lbs kg
3mm 0.5 7.4 1,900 863
4mm 1.0 14.9 3,500 1,589
5mm 1.2 17.9 4,750 2,157