• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Essential checklist items for when mast is dropped?

hcpookie

Member III
I'm repainting the bottom and need to drop the mast for the marina's covered maintenance shed/hangar. They have a pulley mounted over the entrance to ease the trouble.

After digging around the different "up the mast" threads, I wanted to determine what I should absolutely do while it is down. The way I see it, there is no need to "waste" a perfectly good opportunity to do things while it is down.

So, I want to make a list of things I "should" do when it is down. Here's what I have so far:

- Lube mast track
- Clean weep holes
- Check wiring connections
- Adjust crooked antennae
- Replace broken spinnaker sheave
- Replace halyards
- Paint the Mast

What else would you consider to be a "must-do" when it is down?

Glyn Judson

Things to check when the mast is down.

Dear hcpookie (Is that your real name?), If you still own an E27 as your profile indicates and you're on the east coast as your profile indicates, you should be prepared to clean up or replace your deck stepped mast base. You reference weep holes but don't say which weep holes so if they aren't in the base, consider driling some, one port and starboard and possibly one aft. I had my mast repainted last year and replaced my mast base as the old one had turned to white powder. I drilled three 1/4" weep holes in it, had the yard weld a 5" riser to it for the mast wires and then the rigger wisely had the whole thing sent out to be anodized. We used TefGel on the faying surfaces between that and the mast to reduce future corrosion as well. Now might also be the time to inspect anything at the top like antenna, wind device, etc as well. Consider replacing the coax and connectors too. Essentially do everything as if you'll never get up there again. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Mike Thomas

Member II
Install Lazy Jacks. It may not be essential for everyone but it is for me this spring.

"Keep the bow heading into the wind", “I AM keeping it in the wind captain @*!!$@”! (repeat as necessary)

I can't afford to have that conversation again this season:headb: .

Thanks Guy...

Mike T

windjunkee

Member III
Ok, Mike, that was funny because I've seen it happen too many times.

However, lazy jacks don't solve the problem of hoisting the main if you can't keep the boat head to wind. I know of this. We charted a Catalina 42 in the BVI, equipped with lazy jacks. We leave Road Harbour in squally conditions and its blowing about 15-20. I go forward to raise the main and have my wife drive. She has trouble figuring out wind direction. Anyway, the battens keep on getting hung up in the lazy jack lines. Its challenging to keep the battens free from the aft-end lines of the lazy jacks.
In fact, its that experience that convinced me not to put them on our boat. 20 minutes to raise the main. Seriously.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I'm repainting the bottom and need to drop the mast for the marina's covered maintenance shed/hangar. They have a pulley mounted over the entrance to ease the trouble.

After digging around the different "up the mast" threads, I wanted to determine what I should absolutely do while it is down. The way I see it, there is no need to "waste" a perfectly good opportunity to do things while it is down.

So, I want to make a list of things I "should" do when it is down. Here's what I have so far:

- Lube mast track
- Clean weep holes
- Check wiring connections
- Adjust crooked antennae
- Replace broken spinnaker sheave
- Replace halyards
- Paint the Mast

What else would you consider to be a "must-do" when it is down?

While mine has been down I've:
Converted to OGM led anchor light
replaced steaming/foredeck light
stripped & painted
replaced standing rigging
replaced all the wiring (figure while it's down and easy to get to, right?)
installed plugs in the tangs to reduce water in the stick
upgraded outhaul & topping lift

also, I agree- flaking a main is enough to cause divorce very quickly...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The trick with the lazy jacks is having them set up so they can be easily walked fwd and hooked on the reefing hooks prior to hoist. If they are set up with cleats on the mast and not the boom they can be easily adjusted/ moved fwd for the hoist. If they are cleated on the boom like my harken set up currently is then the walking fwd part isn;t so easy becasue its a pain to adjust them once the sail is flaked on the boom. I am making a new set based on some instructions I found here.

hcpookie

Member III
Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the lights, that's a good idea.

What kind of paint is a good choice for the mast? "Any" outdoor paint, or does West Marine have something specific? I haven't even looked for mast paint yet.

Thanks again!
- Jerry

jkm

Member III
Jim and Glyn

I'm going to pull Penquin next month. Might as well drop the mast and paint it while she is out.(jpeg of Tim's mast off Treilly got me inspired) Do I really need a rigger or can I mark all the fittings to replace as they were.

Had a ridiculous price of $1500 from the yard to undo all the turnbuckels-maybe I misheard them.

If I need one-any recommendations? Couldn't get Carl Sarnoff to return my call?

John

hcpookie

Member III
hcpookie,

The original Kenyon mast and spreaders had an issue on the E-27 where there was a weak area. There is a fix at this link, http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts/dimple/dimple_repair.html

If it is not fixed, fix it. If it is fixed just check the repair for corrosion, etc...

Just something to look at while the mast has been dropped.

Already done by the PO - that's my mast! :) Good call on that one, however, as I'm not sure everyone knows about it.