• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E27 Owner - Chesapeake Region

timday5

Member II
I just bought a '76 E27 on Ebay, and being a first time sailboat owner I'm a bit... um, apprehensive?

I'm planning to sail it from Solomon's Island up the Potomac to the Marina at MCS Quantico. Anyone have any general or specific advice on this trip?

I've been to Marineplanner.com and the NOAA office of coastal survey sites. I sailed on the Chesapeake back at USNA, but that was 15 years ago...

I love this forum and plan on visiting many times to educate myself.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Congradulations

Tim- Congradulations on your purchase of the Ericson. Glad you found us. There is hours of info related to 27's here and many regulars that post here.
I'm sorry I can't help you with your Chesapeake questions, but I'm sure they guys in your area will chime in after the have finished "battening down their hatches" out east. Hope you find all your answers. Rob Hessenius

Shadowfax

Member III
First, get yourself a paper chart. I think it is the Cove Point to Smith Point chart. A GPS chart plotter would be nice if you where thinking about getting one.

As for the trip itself that is pretty straightforward. After leaving Solomons cross the Patuxant to avoid the chop at its mouth and round Cedar Point. Next question is, do you want to be inshore or off shore of the Navy's target range. I would think this would depend on weather conditions, what mood the Navy is in and if you are sailing, or motoring. Next is Point No Point light and as you get near to it, resist following to close to shore from here all the way to Point Lookout. When Point Lookout is abeam you should find a green can. Make that can and then head for the Point Lookout light. You can cut inshore of the light, but be careful especially if the wind is up and blowing against the tide. It can get very choppy here and can be one of the most unpleasant places on the Bay in the right conditions.

If you have had enough for the day you can go into Smith Creek or St. Mary's River. Both has nice anchorages. I would cross the Potomac in the river after St. Mary's, not at its mouth for a smoother ride.

I'd also make sure that you have confidence in your new boat. After you leave the Patuxant there is really no place to duck in until you are past Point No Point and that is St. Jerome Creek. After St. Jerome you have to make Point Lookout and Smith Creek. This can be a very long unconformable day if the weather and tide are not working together, so check the weather before you leave. Also, talk to the locals in Solomons with your chart in hand for the fine points, or as it is called "local knowledge".

Have fun.

lbertran

Member III
Made That Trip in Reverse

Years ago, we bought a Catalina 22 at Quantico and needed to bring it home to Annapolis. We did it over the course of two weekends. The first weekend, we made it from Quantico to Solomon's Island. To accomplish that, we put in two long days, close to ten hours running. We also had little wind and needed to cover lots of miles so we motored, which allowed straight line travel. If you look at a chart you'll see that it's a pretty straigh forward trip with few hazzards.

If we'd had more time, we would have sailed and made more overnight stops. The Potomac has lots of great anchorages, someone already mentioned St. Mary's City and St. Clements Island is worth a visit.

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Tim,
Congrats on your new boat...
We sail out of Solomons and do the trip down to the Potomac a few times per year. Follow the charts, beware of the flats in the Pax river right when you come out of the Solomons area. Not much between the Pax and the Potomac, so be ready for a long day. lots of overnight options once you get to the potomac. Be watchful for fish traps between Point Lookout and the St. Mary's River...
Call me if you want to get together to just double check the boat before you go...

Chris

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
here are a couple of charts showing the Targets discussed previously and the Point Lookout area...
Very strong tides (especially ebb tides) at the mouth of the potomac... try to hit it on a flood tide.

Attachments

• Targets.jpg
    Targets.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 70
  • smith point.jpg
    smith point.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 64

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Chris where did you get the online charts? Do you have the software or is there a place to view for cruise planning purposes online charts for free? My boss is really gonna love it if this turns out to be the case... :devil:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Bob and I were having this conversation offline as well...

Those are Maptech Chart Navigator charts... free for download at www.freeboatingcharts.com and pretty good. I use them to plan routes that I then upload into my handheld. Also easy to print detail charts, copy and send them to Paint or Photoshop, etc...

Only issue is that Maptech doesn't make it easy to get started... but once you figure it out, they are really nice.

Chris