• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Step

ron7546

Member II
Computer Chewed up and spit out my first attempt at this,anyway as I said - none of this will matter if the weather doesn`t improve here in the Northeast.
I am adding a mastplate under my mast step ( on my E27) which is nothing more than a cast "shoe" which the mast sits into. The mast step is held in place ,(to the deck) with three S-S wood screws. The mast just sits in the casting with no fasteners.Is this original design and do I need to do anything more than increase the length of the 3 screws to accomodate the thickness of the mast plate? I am not sure if thru- bolting is an option due to the bulkhead below.
I would think if the mast is properly stepped and tuned , there should be no lateral force at the base of the mast. Am I correct?
I am reasonably sure that it has been that way all these years.
Thanks in Advance
Ron
"Bluenote":egrin:

Walter Pearson

Member III
I added a homemade plate under my E27 mast step many years ago and only used the existing hole locations for fastening. I added the larger hole with a generous radius to accommodate the mast wiring and also put a threaded hole in the step and plate to mount a wire clamp. I'm sure we all have boat projects that didn't live up to expectations and then we have ones that work out even better. This plate was in the latter (and probably lesser) group.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Ron, did you ever figure out a more substantial way to attach your mast step? I am tabernacling the mast on my E27 and I'm worried about the forces on the mast step when the mast is lowered. As you noted there really isn't a good way to thru-bolt because of the shape of the bulkhead and ceiling.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I am building a tabernacle for my E29 T based on the drawings for the 27 and 29 under the 27 documentation. I hope to be able to use at least one longer screw and run it into the compression post that is about 3X5 on the 29. I really have doubts about the screws that were about 1 ¼ “ long.

Attached is a plywood test model of the tabernacle.

Attachments

• tabernacle 002.jpg
    tabernacle 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 654

rod sanburn

Member II
Mast step factory drawings

Captains,
I have the Ericson factory drawings for a hinged mast step. They where in the option drawings for my 1974. If you have not seen them let me know I will forward them. Rod S

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My prototype is from the drawings for a E27 or E29 listed in the 27 documnets. can you post the drawings you have please?

rod sanburn

Member II
Catalina plate

Simon,
The Catalina plate is not a hinge. Its a plate to attach blocks to etc. you probably know that.:egrin: The Ericson Hinge is to help in lowering the mast. It allows the mast to hinge toward the stern/ aft. If you are planning on on transporting the mast on top of the boat, you pull the hinge bolt/or pin etc. I have raised and lowered masts on 27's and 29's many times for transport, with the right gin pole and some extra man power on deck, I'm not sure if its worth the addition. If your short handed it might be useful. I had a hinge on a Grampian I once owned. It worked on that boat.
Rod

simdim

Member II
Rod,
I am looking at a plate as a part of "bring halyards aft" project - the hinge intrigued me in a sense that if I am taking mast step off - might as well go for the maximum benefit. But it looks like I would not need the hinge - Thank you for clarification.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ballenger Spars http://www.ballengerspars.com/ has hinged, tabernacled mast steps and organizers. Here is a photo of a Ballenger tabernacled step with an organizing plate under it. They also make them as one unit. The other photo is what you do with a tabernacled mast step when you go sailing... twice a day :).

Attachments

• hatch1.jpg
    hatch1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 106
  • mast downsm.JPG
    mast downsm.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 128

Rhynie

Member III
Simdim,
You might look at Garhauer, they have a number of the regular plates, and I believe will also fabricate to spec. They have good products, but are online only.

simdim

Member II
Brian,
Thank you for the info! While we are on the subject - are there any major disadvantages of mounting halyard blocks on the step plate instead of going to dedicated deck mounted blocks? Also what are the rules for selecting size of blocks? I was almost set on Harken blocks and desk organizers, still undecided on clutches, however the more brands I look at (like Garhauler) the more my head starts to spin :confused:...

Rhynie

Member III
Simon,
On deck stepped masts I prefer the plate as it keeps the load in the mast column, your not trying to pull your deck up. Further you are not drilling holes into the deck core, or at least not as many.

On Garhauer, I have used their products on three boats now and have been very pleased. About 2/3 $$ vs the other brands and quality & design is every bit as good. Call and talk with Guido; I have no connection to them, just very satisfied customer.

Another $$ saver for line is Cajun Trading, online out of Nova Scotia, nice quality cordage at about 2/3 of other sources plus no sales tax.