• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cruising and marinas

BobB

Member II
In my years of cruising around the Chesapeake, I've always anchored in creeks and not marinas. Frankly, I like the solitude of the creek, but this year I want to stop at some marinas on some of my longer cruises. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I don't know what the procedure is when planning to stop at marinas. Do most of the marinas require advance reservation? How? Phone, email, ch16? (Is there a preferred source of knowledge about the various marinas?) Basically, I'm looking for some friendly advice and wisdom.

Thanks for the help.

lbertran

Member III
Hi, Bob

At most marinas, reservations are not necessary except on holiday weekends. But I usually go ahead and make a reservation by phone to make sure I know the price and that there are no surprises or disapointments. Most marinas are happy to take reservations and some ask for a credit card number to hold the reservation. But if you've come into port without a reservation, you can also reach most marinas on VHF 16 to check on slip availability. The Chesapeake Bay Cruising Guide, published by Cheseapeake Bay Magazine, has a pretty good listing of marinas, where they're located, and what they offer. If you're a Boat US member, they have a booklet that lists marinas that participate in a discount program for members.

Last edited:

BobB

Member II
At most marinas, reservations are not necessary except on holiday weekends. But I usually go ahead and make a reservation by phone to make sure I know the price and that there are no surprises or disapointments. Most marinas are happy to take reservations and some ask for a credit card number to hold the reservation. But if you've come into port without a reservation, you can also reach most marinas on VHF 16 to check on slip availability. The Chesapeake Bay Cruising Guide, published by Cheseapeake Bay Magazine, has a pretty good listing of marinas, where they're located, and what they offer. If you're a Boat US member, they have a booklet that lists marinas that participate in a discount program for members.

Thanks! I have both publications, just never looked at the marina sections. High time I did.