• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Supporting an E23 to work on the bottom??

rbaroni

I have an Ericson 23, which I just bought that needs some bottom work. It is presently on a trailer. Any suggestions on how to support it off of the trailer to make working and painting the bottom easier. Thanks.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
We have lots of E23 owners here, so you should get a (more proper) reply in a sec - what about using jack stands?

//sse

rbaroni

Jack stands?

Could you elaborate more on "Jack Stands". I'm not sure exactly what you mean, or how I would use them. Thank you.

Steve Swann

Member III
Getting & Supporting a boat off the trailer

Several things come to mind. First, most of the weight of the boat is in the keel so the whole affair isn't as precariously dangerous as one might think. Once your 23 is off its trailer, supporting the entire length of the keel is important. Something like a 6"x6" would do nicely since is it thick enough that it won't bend. Also, boat stands are available at some marinas, or you might find someone to rent or borrow some, and these are what you'll likely use to prop the boat up properly. Try to place them at bulkhead locations or other places where there is some inside bracing to help keep the hull from deforming. Perhaps a professional at a marina could review the process with you and ensure your boat doesn't get damaged.

I know you have a hoist at your Bayview Marina. Maybe a weekend trip there with your work materials would work out nicely.

If you have specific questions about services up in your area, there is a couple who have an Ericson 35 at Bayview and he would be a good source for you to contact. This is Kim Schoedel, who posts here quite frequently. Good luck!

Steve Swann
E25, Boise, ID

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Photo showing jack stands.

Here is a photo showing jack stands.

Attachments

• boatwork4.jpg
    boatwork4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 67

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hard Up: A Properly Supported Bottom!

Yeah, basically what Mr. Asbury mentioned...image below as well.

My only other comment is to be sure how you're supporting the boat - and on what surface. If my memory recalls, you only want to place about 25% or 30% of the weight on the boat's keel - the remainder being held by the jack stands (someone will correct me here, I'm sure...).

Follow this link (http://www.classic-hrs.com/HotspurDamage.htm) for an interesting story on an improperly supported Hallberg Mistral - and the damage that can occur if the loads are placed incorrectly, shift, or if the entire mount is permitted to slip or subside.

//sse

Attachments

• JackStands.jpg
    JackStands.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 61

rbaroni

Having thought about this all day long, and considering the various comments, my tentative plan at this point is to use two horizontal beams supported by posts at 10 feet to support the boat with two nylon straps. I will purchase a couple of jack stands, or more as necessary for insurance. I can lift one end of the boat at a time with either my tractor, or a chain hoist purchased for about $50. My question is can I damage the boat if I use only two straps to support it? Thanks again.

Bob in Va

Member III
means of support

We have lifted my E23 centerboarder off the trailer three times in the last 5 years using two 2" straps, one a little forward of the shoal keel, the other aft of it. These boats have very strong hulls, and if you are near the front bulkhead (at the rear of the V-berth) you will be OK there - in fact, we have had that strap as far forward as the front edge of the forward hatch. We have jacked the rear of the boat using a "railroad" jack, just high enough to pass the rear strap between the hull and the trailer bunks. If you use boat stands, place them a little aft of the shoal keel. A major consideration is being able to drop the centerboard for inspection/repair, so you want to leave the keel area clear, if possible. I would not use this technique with many other boats - their hulls just aren't that stout. But these "Little E" hulls are STRONG and can take it. We do double both straps for safety, using a come-along to winch the boat up, while snugging up the second strap as we go. It helps to have a brother-in-law with a nice barn.