• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 main sail cover

MikeG

Member I
Hello all,
What dimensions shall I use for E32-3 main sail cover?

Regards,

MikeG.

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Mike,

I guess my first question would be; How well does your old cover fit and can you use that as a template for the upolsterer to use? If the old one doesn't fit real swell then perhaps you can have the shop add or subtract some inches for the new one.

I like to have the cover long enough to fit over the aft end of the boom and not too tight on the bottom so the main sail is not compressed too much.

Others may have more to add to this or perhaps may have the dimensions for you.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sail cover

Unfortunately, your chances of getting one that fits properly are slim to none unless YOUR boat with YOUR mainsail, stacked and furled on the boom in the way your normally do it are physically measured-hopefully by your canvas shop or sailmaker with a canvas dept..

If you are in an area without any good marine shops or sailmakers nearby, all of the good ones can email or fax you a measurement form, and you can take the measurements yourself and send it to them.

While the most important number is the length (E + distance around the mast with the sail on the boom), there are number of other measurements around the boom at a few locations, around the mast, etc. that are the key to getting a good fit. Most of the forms are self-explanatory and show you how and where to measure.

If a vendor tells you he can do it with the just the E dimension, or says he has the dimensions on file, you are taking a big chance that the dimensions he/she has are not the same as yours-a new mainsail stacks higher than an old soft one, for example-the number of luff slides, whether or not you have some kind of Harken or Strong/Tides Marine mast slide system, or Stackpak are all key factors...even having lazyjacks makes a big difference, and no 2 installations are exactly the same

Get it measured by the person doing the cover, and any problems are THEIR fault-do it yourself and you are responsible for the accuracy of the measurements.

Best choice: Have the supplier measure it
2nd choice: Get the form and take your dimernsions and send it to the supplier
3rd choice: Take your chances with an off the shelf or vendor supplied (but not measured) cover.

Any questions, let me know..
S

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Sail Cover

Mike,

We recently got a new mainsail. We did not anticipate a new cover, as our old one is still in decent shape, but guess what? The old cover will no longer adequately cover the new sail. The new sail is slightly bigger in the roach, has 2 full battens with cars that stand it up more at the mast, is stiff, doesn't flake smoothly, and just will not fit in the cover. Same boat, same dimensions, but no fit! The canvas shop is measuring this week as I want my sail, a large investment, to be well protected from UV.

What Seth has said is right on.

Keith
E-33:egrin: