• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement LED bulbs for cabin

wheelerwbrian

Member III
You are all missing the boat. I have been cruising for the last ten years and I will swear by the alpenglow lights for longer lasting and brightness. you can read by them. They are a floresent but not the same color, in the middle a very comfortable light. Yes! They cost a bit more but the workmanship and the light that they produce is well worth it.

Completely concur. Initially I was only going to replace the high use fixtures with Alpenglows --the OEM switches on the incandescent fixtures had failed and I was finding it difficult to find replacements. Plus I hate the frequency of bulb replacement, and the heat. I liked the Alpenglows so much I replaced all the lights including the reading fixtures. Good color, much brighter than the incandescents, red LEDs to preserve night vision, no flicker when turning them on, much reduced power draw -- I'll never go back.

jreddington

Member III
Checked this thread to see about direct replacments (bayonet fixture) for the #93 bulbs for the interior of my '84 E-28+. So far, the feedback doesn't sound good. I'd really like them to have the same light output as the existing incandescent, which doesn't seem to be the case. Also, less important to me, would be the bluish color.

However, looking at these direct replacement LED "bulbs" it looks like the LEDs are mounted on the end of the fixture. Some discussion of 90 degree or 100 degree light spread. However, the fixtures I have hold the bulbs horizontally but are overhead. This is OK for the existing incandescent bulbs since the filiment is suspended in the middle of the bulb. With the cover of the fixture on, light dispersion is pretty even. Seems like these replacement LEDs would end up "pointing" the light sideways. And all my fixtures "point" the bulbs outboard. This seems like it would make, with the cover on, a very uneven light spread, bright towards outboard (where I don't need light) and dull towards inboard (where I want the light).

Is this what folks have experienced with these LEDs mounted in existing fixtures?

ligolaiva38

Member II
Talking about using LED lights; I replace all my cabin interior ceiling lites in my Ericson 38 with Sensibulbs which are not the shining ugly blue/white light bulbs that are common LEDs. These are nice and warm like the DC bulb lights.
I have 7 ceiling lamps/cabin lights and replaced all of them with the 1st generation Sensibulbs. I just glued them in where the long Festoon style bulbs were and then soldered the wires onto each end of the bulb connection. They were expensive, but with my amp meter I can now turn on all 7 lites and use just the same amount as I used with just one DC light.

In the evenings I run all lights without a problem and keep the boat all lit up just like a powerboat which I couldn't do with DC lights before. It sure makes the boat more comfortable in the evenings to be nice and lit up inside.

I also added a LED tri lite on the mast. Wow..... is it bright. At the islands I can see it much further and brighter than the old DC lamp.

I purchased them from: http://www.sailorssolutions.com/

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A friend of mine installed entirely new LED fixtures from ABI in his O'Day. They are very nice, the light is slightly blue but not at all disagreeable. The units he used also have the red LED's for night use. They are not cheap but they are very nice. Check them out: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|65136|739053|760437&id=177657

RT