• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement LED bulbs for cabin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks!

Bob, Thanks for the link! It looks like the LED market has grown to the point where prices are finally dropping.
You should post here more often...
Hey, any chance of your taking a digital pic of the old light "on" and then another pic of the same fixture with the new LED light switched on?
Best,
Loren

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Bob, thank you for the link to the LED site. I am confused and not very savy on any electrical issues. It appears that there are a few choices when it comes to replacing the old bulbs. The 1156 that you are planning to use looks like you just plug in the "male" end into the recepticle and then what happens to the circut board/LED's? Does the board just kind of hang loose inside the fixture?

Our boat has lots of light fixtures all placed on each far side port and starboard. They are original and really do not put out a lot of light. Nice for the "Mood" but I think we would like more light. Any thoughts or ideas on what style LED's I may get would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sparky the Electrician

BobB

Member II
Bob, thank you for the link to the LED site. I am confused and not very savy on any electrical issues. It appears that there are a few choices when it comes to replacing the old bulbs. The 1156 that you are planning to use looks like you just plug in the "male" end into the recepticle and then what happens to the circut board/LED's? Does the board just kind of hang loose inside the fixture?

Our boat has lots of light fixtures all placed on each far side port and starboard. They are original and really do not put out a lot of light. Nice for the "Mood" but I think we would like more light. Any thoughts or ideas on what style LED's I may get would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sparky the Electrician

Those LED arrays and circuit boards are small (ca. 1.5 inch square) and very thin. My E27 cabin light "globes" (whatever they're called) will easily accommodate both. What I plan to do is use double-sided tape to fix the circuit board to the light housing and the array to the circuit board, making a sandwich. If we don't have snow, I'll do this over the weekend and I'll take photographs of my success or failure; with old bulbs and new bulbs to give you an idea of coloration.

BobB

Member II
Bob, Thanks for the link! It looks like the LED market has grown to the point where prices are finally dropping.
You should post here more often...
Hey, any chance of your taking a digital pic of the old light "on" and then another pic of the same fixture with the new LED light switched on?
Best,
Loren

Hi Loren,

Sure will take photos. I suspect that the LED light will be quite bluish when compared to the incandescent bulbs. I'm willing to deal with that if I save battery power and reduce heat in the cabin.

jkm

Member III
I changed out all but one bulb to LEDs from superbrite over three years ago.

I left one 1156 in the V berth for reading.

The LEDs are indeed bluish and rather dull-somewhat reminds me of theater lighting.

The LEDs come as bulbs, and as a bulb with a 90 degree angle (great for the light over the galley) and as a board and bulb (no so great)

The draw is minimal and the light is really not great for anything except talk and cocktails.

Though if you plan to cruise and live aboard they are a must.

I have two battery operated flourescent lights for general lighting when we prepare meals at night.

It might be an age thing, but I really can't see well with the LEDs. I won't go back because I have set up my boat to draw little or no energy. I will waste it with my refrigerator and auto pilot, but no where else.

John

BobB

Member II
I changed out all but one bulb to LEDs from superbrite over three years ago.

The LEDs come as bulbs, and as a bulb with a 90 degree angle (great for the light over the galley) and as a board and bulb (no so great)

John

Hi John,

I'm not clear on which LEDs you got from superbrightleds. I bought the 36 LED arrays mounted on a 1.5 inch square circuit board and wired to an 1156 end. Did you get this array or the bulb with 9 LEDs at the end?

Cheers,

Bob

joerun26

Member II
LED Replacements

I just finished relamping my entire cabin w/ LED's.. Amperage draw went from 15 (with all lights on) to 1.7 I stayed on board last weekend and they are not nearly as bright as the old, but I found them more than adequate. At 1/10 the current draw, I think it was worth the switch. You do have to ensure the correct polarity when installing the festoon replacements. I did install the brighter LED's for the 3 "map light" style (13 or 18 leds - don't recall). There is a bluish tint to get used - but I actually like the look.

joe
"Tenacious"
35-III

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Here is an interesting LED source http://www.bebi-electronics.com/ I am looking to use their product to convert my lighting. Its not as simple as plugging in a replacement like those from superbright however the electronics seem to be a bit more sophisticated. RT

jkm

Member III
Bob

I got the setup with LEDs arrayed on the 1.5" board. First the double stick tape couldn't handle the marine environment then one row went out. Probably just a bad one. I guess I was mad I didn't buy the bulb with the 90 degree feature.

I overall like the LEDs and if I want to read I just go up front.

I also keep a 1156 for the chart light if I need to work there at night.

I bought a red LED bulb for the chart table and have been very happy with that bulb.

If you get a battery operated flourescent fixture it's east to stick it up with velcro-just remember to use re chargable batteries as they weigh so much less that normal batteries. I had to replace one of the lights before I figured that out. They were cheap enough at Home Depot, but I'm a Mainer and wasting ten bucks is tough to swallow.

John

BobB

Member II
Bob

I got the setup with LEDs arrayed on the 1.5" board. First the double stick tape couldn't handle the marine environment then one row went out. Probably just a bad one. I guess I was mad I didn't buy the bulb with the 90 degree feature.

John

Thanks for the info, John. Its disappointing to hear that a row went out on the array. I plan to try the install tomorrow. I have some thin cable ties and my opt in using them over the doublesided tape. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Bob

BobB

Member II
Bob

Did you get any of the 90 degree units?

John

The ones I got say "100 degree beam pattern".

1156-PCB-W36 White LED Lamp
12VDC 1156 Base with 1-1/2 inch square circuit board
With 36 Super White LEDs
Designed for overhead lighting in boats, campers, box trucks, etc.
With Wide 100 Degree Beam Pattern
$ 19.95

jkm

Member III
Bob

Haven't visited that site in a year or so and I see many new products.

I'll go by PENQUIN this week and check out what I have.

Very interested of what you bought and how they work out. I might need to upgrade some of my bulbs.

Please let us know how yours work out

John

BobB

Member II
Bob

Haven't visited that site in a year or so and I see many new products.

I'll go by PENQUIN this week and check out what I have.

Very interested of what you bought and how they work out. I might need to upgrade some of my bulbs.

Please let us know how yours work out

John

I installed the LED arrays from superbrightleds today. I've attached four pictures: the light with incandescent bulb, the LED array attached, the LED array lit with flash, and the light with the LED (after).

I have a suggestion for anyone using these arrays: remove the shrink tubing that superbrightleds places on the 1156 base to protect the wires. In my install, the tubing interfered with getting the 1156 base barbs to catch in the light socket, but then, I am still using the original equipment cabin lights supplied with my 74 E27, so they are a bit worn and corroded.

All in all, I'm happy with these LEDs. The light is bluish, as expected, but quite bright and not all that different from a fluorescent bulb.

Cheers,

Bob

Attachments

• light_before.jpg
    light_before.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 63
  • led_installed.jpg
    led_installed.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 59
  • led_lit.jpg
    led_lit.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 71
  • light_after.jpg
    light_after.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 64

BobB

Member II
I forgot to mention that if you are going to do the switch to LEDs, be prepared to change the polarity on one or more of your LEDs (or sockets). I had to switch the polarity on 2 of the four LEDs by cutting and soldering the LED wires. No big deal, just be prepared with soldering iron, solder, and some heat shrink tubing for insulation.

Bob

Sid

BOATBUMMS
alpenglow

I have a 36c and replaced all the cabin lights with Alpinglow lights they are the best I have found check out the site. We have been cruising the last 10 yrs. alpenglowlights.com

Sid and Manuela in and on "Paradise"

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Replacement lights

You are all missing the boat. I have been cruising for the last ten years and I will swear by the alpenglow lights for longer lasting and brightness. you can read by them. They are a floresent but not the same color, in the middle a very comfortable light. Yes! They cost a bit more but the workmanship and the light that they produce is well worth it.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Doctor LED

I changed out my old style chart light, one of the black cylinder types, with the Doctorled.com Nighthawk-- pretty impressed so far. Has anyone tried their bayonet style bulbs? I'm trying to decide if they are worth the $30 each. I guess since I only have 3, they probably are.
Also, I got 9 led festoon bulbs on ebay for $2.50 each + shipping to experiment with them for interior lighting before I make the switch to new LED dome lights.
I have an overall dislike for any kind of flourescent... but will have to look into this kind to see if it works better for me for a longer term...

Hey Sid, How's Venezuela? Safe? Friendly? Good sailing? Inquiring minds hear horror stories from there...

Chris