• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adding secondary winches?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am thinking of adding a set of secondary winches to my E38. Currently there are 4 winches on the cabintop to handle the halyards, etc. and 2 large primaries on the cockpit sides. Adding secondaries would make moving a genoa sheet to the toerail for running or flying a cruising chute easier, would it not? Would this be worth it? Anyone who has done this and has input or pics it would be nice to hear about it. RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Where would you add the winches? I am guessing you mean on the cockpit coaming? Only trouble may be that you might need to move the primaries fwd to allow enough room to get fair leads to either winch. Have you tried a snatch block on a toerail car with a new sheet run up to a cabintop winch to make the switch from inboard track? You tie the temporary sheet to the clew, then run it through the toerail car back to the snatch block then up to the cabintop. Once you transfer the load you can take the old sheet and untie it from the clew and run it from the primary through the toerail block alongside the temporary sheet. Snug it up and remove the temporary cabintop sheet. Or simply tack onto the outside track if you can justify tacking. I fly my kites from blocks mounted on toerail cars slid way aft then up to cabintop winches. We run the guys to the primaries and the sheets up to the cabin tops.