• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 35-2 Hull#268 (Moving...)

jthistle

Member II
Hi Folks...I've been lurking for about 3 months now and looks like I'm going to join the club. Made an offer on 1972 E-35 Hull#268. She's well used but not abused - setup for crusing and liveaboard.

I have a unique problem in that I live in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. - Look up....Waaaaay up) The boat is in North Carolina. Soooo...I'm looking for a crew or advice on moving the boat...hopefully as far as Maine by June 23. (When I start a 2 month hiatus - to learn the boat).

The boat has been on the hard for 2 years. I'm stuck here at work and have to manage the project remotely to check the boat for seaworthyness and have a crew start the trip. I'm not adverse to trucking but don't know where to start...plus the boat has to made seaworthy somwhere...may as well be there. This boat has made the trip from Newfounland to Florida before - on the outside by PO. And we all know the model is capeable.

I'm sure this is the first of many posts to come...any feedback or info is appreciated.

soo starts the obsession

cheers

Jason
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sounds like fun! Do you have the time to make some stops along the way? It'd be a great time to do some cruising in nice areas, like the Elizabeth Islands/Buzzards Bay/Cape Cod MA, Casco Bay ME, Penobscot Bay ME. It'd be a shame to pass those up during the summer.

Are you having a yard do the work down there to get it ready for the trip?

jkenan

Member III
Where is the boat? I'm in Oriental, NC, on the ICW. Know several local yards/sailmakers/marinas, and would be happy to offer suggestions on who to use.

Before making a trip like this (even to Maine), you definitely want to know your boat inside and out. At the very least, you want your rigging, sails, engine, VHF, and all below-waterline seacocks/hoses to be verified reliable, and have spares/parts aboard. May be worth outsourcing if you can't be here yourself to do the work.

I assume you've had the boat surveyed? What were the recommendations?

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'd also recommend planning a short cruise before you depart for the delivery. Take a week to come down, make final preparations, do a hard 2 day cruise up the coast to a cheap marina/mooring, and see what breaks or what the boat needs. Then spend the rest of the week fixing stuff or making arrangements to get the necessary work done while you're away.

Maybe the boat will be in great condition and ready to go, but you don't want to ask that question 50 miles off Cape Hatteras at the start of a 5-day offshore trip to Newfoundland. :)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I imagine you would be sailing a straight line from the Cape Cod canal to St. Johns. This would be the preferred route. However, it being a new boat, you may want to stay near shore. So if you find yourself in need of anything along the southern Maine coast or need to stop for the night in Portland, let me know and I will help any way I can. You can email me directly at TKREILLEY"at"ADELPHIA.NET.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to crew and I am running a regatta around that time.

jthistle

Member II
Yacht delivery...

Thanks for all replies. I'm frantic to try and get a feeling for how much time and money this might take. I'm trying to find a captain and crew to launch the boat and deliver it to northern maine...close to the Candian Boarder. I think I'll take it from there.

Anyone know a service or freelancer. Its too long a trip for me - Have a young family and work commitments until june. I'd like to have the boat closer to Newfoundland by June 1 when the weather finally breaks(on a good year)

Any thoughts on how long it should take. I was figuring doing some ICW stuff where practical and going outside to cut some corners. I have ALOT of question...all help is appreciated.

Cheers
Jason