• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Finishing head wall

A and J

Member I
We want to finish the inside of the head compartment. Behind the head is the fiberglass that is on the starboard outside of the boat. We are thinking of gluing lino-flooring on when we haul out. Has anyone seen this done or tryed this? Is there a better product to use?

Emerald

I'd avoid gluing something like this for fear that over time it will create a water problem - moisture will work it's way between some spot and cause problems down the road. The prior owner of Emerald did some nice dressing in lockers by cutting some simple plywood pieces that fit in the bottom of lockers so you have a finished looking and level shelf. I've been using an interesting paint (industrial in orientation) by Bruning called Silathane II for painting in areas I want to be bright and clean. I have found it to be very well wearing, non-porous, very good coverage and hiding of what's underneath etc. If you read the label, it is approved for some odd things like painting water towers and use in poultry processing plants. I just mention this as I think it's indicative of it not being an ordinary house paint, and helps explain why it's worked well for me on the boat. Of course that said, someone will say they tried it and hated it....:rolleyes:

Shadowfax

Member III
I'm not sure if I follow you correctly. You are looking for something to cover the bulkhead, not the floor. If you are looking to cover the bulkhead there is a product made of fiberglass that comes in 4 X 8 sheets and is about a 1/4 inch thick that is used mostly as a sanitary, washable wall surface in commercial kitchens. We use it all the time in those situations. It's not real expensive and is easy to cut. You might want to look into that. Any good lumber yard will have it, or be able to get it in days.

Good luck, hope this is what you are looking for.

Emerald

I'm confused also :egrin:

Just in case I am confusing others, I was thinking that you were trying to dress up raw fiberglass e.g. what you see when you open the door under the sink in the head (assuming you have such a door). If you are talking about smooth gelcoated molded liner like Ericson used for my shower sole pan, area around the head etc., I'd leave it the original gelcoated fiberglass, as it will be easier to clean and maintain, but that is just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it :cool:

Last edited:

A and J

Member I
We are looking to cover the raw fiberglass hull. We are looking at a dual purpose in this application, an insullating factor, easily clean surface and of course cosmetic. I think that we will look into the fiberglass panel and see if that is an option. Thanks for your comments.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since the purpose seems to provide a smooth finish and hopefully make it easier to find things inside those compartments... paint it with white "Bilgecoat" or...
brush on white gel coat. I have done the later on several places under and behind cabinets on our boat. Just grind/sand the surface flat and clean it up with acetone, then brush on the gel coat. Note that for this application you do need to mix in some surfacing wax so it will cure.

Loren

Shadowfax

Member III
The panels I referred to are fairly rigid. From this sounds of what you want to do I think Loren's approach might work better, but check out the stuff I was talking about, it might work for you.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My former boat, a Pearson 28, had a textured, light colored vinyl attached with contact adhesive to the inner side of the FG hull(in the finished spaces only). Looked nice, took little space and could be replaced easily.

rgraham

Member II
Shadowfax do you have a source for that fiberglass?

Sorry to change the subject but I've been looking for a source for 1/4 fiberglass for a while. Is it smooth on both sides? The only kind I can find at Lowes or Home Depot is the patterned kind they put in bathrooms.

Robert

Emerald

Sorry to change the subject but I've been looking for a source for 1/4 fiberglass for a while. Is it smooth on both sides? The only kind I can find at Lowes or Home Depot is the patterned kind they put in bathrooms.

Robert

Not sure if they have what you are after, but try US Composites. Their site is:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/

No affiliation, just found them to be a good source of a variety of fiberglass and related products.

Shadowfax

Member III
Robert,

Just saw your post, but the yard where I get this stuff is closed for the day. I'll give them a call in the AM and get you a source. You know plain white Formica would also work. A little harder to work with, but also comes in a 100's of colors and different textures

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FRP plate...

Robert,
If you are talking about "FR4 / G10" in various thickness, try any plastics supply house. This stuff is very strong, made of glass cloth and epoxy resin. I use it for backing plates, among other things.
Loren

ps: "FRP" and "GRP" are just common acronyms for Fiber Reinforced Plastic and Glass Reinforced Plastic. In America we often refer to this matrix (whether in a sailboat or a household showerstall as "fiberglass."

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
Robert,

Just saw your post, but the yard where I get this stuff is closed for the day. I'll give them a call in the AM and get you a source. You know plain white Formica would also work. A little harder to work with, but also comes in a 100's of colors and different textures

Robert,
Called the yard. The stuff I was talking about is called FRP and only comes in a textured finish. Should be available at any better lumber yard or quickly ordered by one.