• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

29 fuel tank removal

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There have been several suggestions as how to remove the glass lay-up over the tabs on the fuel tank. I decided to try a different approach. I used my cordless drill to drill a starter hole in the glass over the aluminum tab (drilling over the aluminum tab will keep you form drilling through the hull) and then took a wood chisel and tapped the corner of the chisel into the hole it took about five minutes to remove the glass over the front two tabs and the back tabs slid out of their pockets. There was no mess and fairly painless even at my age in the locker with my legs tied in a knot.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to test the integrity of the tank? I plan to have the tank dipped in a radiator vat at the local radiator shop to clean out the years of varnish buildup from old gasoline. The tank had an o-ring that was smaller than the groove in the cap which did nothing for keeping water out. Being very astute I found this after replacing about three filters due to water and other goop.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
melting tank

I just talked to the radiator shop. They said that it would melt the tank. They referred me to a local shop that can sandblast the inside of the tank and then do a pour in liner.

Glyn Judson

Tank cleaning.

Randy, I had my tank cleaned (fuel polished) years ago by a fellow who I still see here in the marina. The first thing he did to mine while it was in the boat was to pour one gallon of lacquer thinner into the empty tank to dissolve the tars on the bottom. He agitated and circulated that stuff for the longest time before removing it to be followed by five gallons of diesel that he filtered for hours through three gigantic filters on a portable cart he'd wheeled down to the boat. The point of this though is that you could try the lacquer thinner trick first and judge the result before sand blasting which seems awfully drastic. That blasting could open up or compromise pores in the tank material with the potential of creating a worse problem than you had beforehand. This, not to mention the fact that there are baffles in our tanks that the sandblasting could never get around. By the way, Berry Sheetmetal, the OEM tank maker is still around and could make a new tank for you should you wish. They can be reached at: 949.548.3613 here in SoCal. Good luck, Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Thanks

Glyn
Thanks for the phone number. I can compare a replacement cost to a cleanup. I do have concern that the water may have caused pits in the bottom of the tank. A gas leak in a boat can do miracles for the hull speed but it is in all directions.