• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 36C Cutless Bearing

Blue Jeans

Member I
We are replacing the propeller strut on an Ericson 36C, which also means a new cutless bearing. The bearing we purchased has a clearance of several thousands of an inch (haven't actually measured it) to the propeller shaft. Shouldn't there be zero clearance? Shouldn't it be an interference fit requiring lube to get the shaft into the bearing? I have looked online for engineering requirements, but haven't been able to find any.

Emerald

Having replaced a couple strut bearings, I don't think it should be a tight interference fit - at least mine weren't. The one I did on Emerald this past winter had a tick of play in it - just barely enough movement to be able to feel it. I was concerned by this, and had the marina I haul at check it for me. They do large volumes of power boat work and have many years of experience on this stuff. Their feedback was while it would be nice to be "tickless", it was acceptable. We did mic the shaft and reconfirm dimensions to make sure that something wasn't out of wack or worn. So, while perhaps not the ideal that we would expect, apparently common. I also did go walk around the marina grabing shafts and wiggling them. Some moved, some didn't.

I have a suspicion that with a tiny bit of clearance, the amount that gives you a tick's worth of play, that you might actually form a water cushion around the shaft inside the bearing, and not having it actually snug keeps the salt and other items in the water from grinding away the shaft and wearing prematurely. Anyone know if I am right or wrong on this hunch?

Last edited:

Sid

BOATBUMMS
cutlass bearing

I just replaced mine (36c). It was a smooth fit so I drilled a hole in the strut and put in a set screw

Sid and Manuela in and on "Paradise"