• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New bimini support design question

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi,
<O:p
My current bimini is attached to the dodger on one end and to a short horizontal pole on the other end. The pole is attached to the back stay.
I'm thinking of having a new bimini with a more common stainless frame made. <O:p
I have seen many bimini frames mounted on the deck on the sides of the cockpit.<O:p
I have also seen, on other boat brands, the bimini frame mounted to the forward sides of the stern pulpit. I kind of like this mounting in that it seems to keep the frame aft and out of the way.<O:p
Has anyone seen this mounting on an Ericson.<O:p
I would appreciate any thoughts on this type of mounting. I'm a little concerned about what might happen to the pulpit during a storm.<O:p
We have a 38-200. <O:p

Thanks,

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have also been thinking about this. The monkeys who made my bimini frame put it too close to the primarys. Now when I have the bimini up, I cannot do a full turn with the winch handle without hitting the frame. I guess the DPO thought this was acceptable.

rhiannon

Inactive Member
Rhiannon

Hi my E35-2 has a bimini and on the Bimini are solor panels as well as Davits. when you put it all togeather with a doger the hole system looks good.
My i send you some photes of my boat.
Rhiannon
icon10.gif

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thanks

Hi Tim and Rhiannon,

Thanks for the pictures Tim. Very nice looking boat. Who made your bimini for you?

Yes, Rhiannon I would very much like to see pictures of your boat. Thanks.

Bob

rhiannon

Inactive Member
Hi bob
have attached one photo.
do you want close up photoes
Rhiannon

Attachments

• ericson 35 for sale (2).jpg
    ericson 35 for sale (2).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 229

rhiannon

Inactive Member
Hi Bob hope this photo helps. If you want detailed photoes a can take more photes next time iam on the boat (Easter)Rhiannon

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 440

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Rhiannon,

That is a very creative bimini set up you have. I really like it. I'm guessing that you have a zippered piece of cloth that could go between the bimini and the dodger.

I would be really interested in getting a few detailed photos.

Do you remember who built the bimini for you?

My wife and I are taking off for a couple of weeks for a vacation and my response to email may be a little spotty, but we'll see.

Thanks again,
Bob

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My Bimini is attached to the stern pulpit. It clears everything great. It also has a connector piece to go between the dodger and the bimini. It folds up nicley and came with a cover. There are several good threads on this site on biminis esp. for the 38. This picture shows how it is attached to the pulpit, the other is not so good but it shows the fwd strap that hols the bimini up. It comes down to a stanchion and does not interfere with the winches or with getting on board say with a bag of groceries in your arm. I had a local guy in Annapolis make it for me. Frame and canvas.

Attachments

• 197817119303_0_ALB[1].jpg
    197817119303_0_ALB[1].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 929051930303_0_ALB[1].jpg
    929051930303_0_ALB[1].jpg
    27 KB · Views: 81

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Ted,
Thanks for the pictures. I like the design. I think that's the design we will go with. Is there anything you can think of that we should consider or think about as we design our bimini? Something that you would do differently next time, etc.

By the way, you know this, but you have a really nice looking family. I'll bet those kids are a blast. We have two grandkids that we just have a ball with. Thanks!

Enjoy,
Bob

rhiannon

Inactive Member
Bob
Mark form Rhiannon have found another photo for you to look at. It has a lot more detail. In answer to your question
No we cannot attach a zip on between the to and the reason for this is that the Bimini is to high and the boom is to long. This was done so you could stand up under it while standing on the seat.Works for me. As it was their when i bought the boat i cannot give you any information on the designer/builder.

Attachments

• 100_0073.jpg
    100_0073.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 191

jkm

Member III
Rhiannon

Many of us with 35-II would love to see more pictures of your setup.

It's quit a clever installation-so when you can would you take more photos then upload them.

Thanks

John

rhiannon

Inactive Member
Hi John
glad to be able to help. Will take some more detailed photoes over Easter.
talk to then
Mark
(rhiannon)

Bob Robertson

Member III
Rhiannon
I agree with John, you have a very interesting bimini design and I would very much like to see more photos.

I am particularly interested in how the davits are fastened and supported.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Robertson

Member III
Rhiannon
I agree with John, you have a very interesting bimini design and I would very much like to see more photos.

I am particularly interested in how the davits are fastened and supported.

Thanks,
Bob

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Bob thanks for the complements on the family. Looking back at the bimini project I can't think of anything I would do differently. I made sure to use 1" diameter frames instead of 3/4 or 7/8 as it is a lot stronger. I have a cover for it when it is not in use. Those were probably two of the more important concerns. It comes forward to about 12" fwd of the end of the boom and we made sure it would clear the boom in any conditions. There is plenty of headroom for me but I'm 5'5". I have not had anyone on board that it has been to low for either.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
For what it is worth. We are in the process of haveing a Bimini/side & aft curtains designed and built. After looking at various set-ups, I decided that a fixed aft support with a bow attached to support the Bimini forward just behind the end of the boom and zippered to the aft edge of the dodger is the best for us. Will also have "windows" so I can see the mast head and also forward so we can see where we are going when sailing or motoring with the Bimini up on those hot hot summer days or nasty rainy days.

We came to the conclusion on the design based on the following issues.

1) no encumberance at the sheet winches. 2) keeping the entrance clear to get in and out of the cockpit when the bimini is up. 3) ease of folding back the bimini when not in use.

The only time we will use the curtains will be in the winter. The bimini will always be up when we are not on the boat as this keeps the cockpit much cleaner.

There is a 38 200 with this exact design at our marina and the owners are very pleased with it.

Also a sister to ours that has a permenant, yes permenant, setup that makes you have to be a monkey to get in and out of the cockpit since it has a support attached just foward of the sheet winches. And the Bimini is always up. Not my cup of tea. Like to be outdoors when sailing when ever possible.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
FWIW a bimini is a rather expensive way to keep your cockpit clean. I keep mine folded up and inside a cover when not in use and off the boat entirely in the winter.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
FWIW, I would rather replace a Bimini every now and then as apposed to falling on my ___ shoveling snow out of the cockpit to go sailing in the winter. We sail year around.