• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winches

rhiannon

Inactive Member
Hi all New member from australia. Just bought Ericson 35-2. Think their is only two in Australia.
Because the cockpit is so big i'am thinking of moving the main winches further back so i can use them while at the wheel. any advise please
icon10.gif

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
You could do that. Or you could use the tiller when your single handing.
I moved my primary winches back and put bigger self tailing andersens where the old ones used to be. I also took off the wheel and it now looks real nice hanging in my shop. I did this because the auto pilot and or windvane have a much better time without all that fly wheel mass to spin and stop from spinning.

Phil

jkm

Member III
I've got the same boat.

I just put a couple of self tailers back by the wheel.

Works fine.

John

rhiannon

Inactive Member
John thanks for your reply.
Do you have any problems with you safety rails and if so what did you do to solve this problem
rhiannon

jkm

Member III
I just piggybacked another block-so i use two per track to carry my line aft of the self tailer.

Works fine for me

john

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Welcome to the list, you have a fine boat.

The top section of the cubby hole where the winches are mounted is all cored with 0.5" plywood, so the winches can be mounted anywhere. But be sure to fill the old holes with epoxy filler to seal the plywood. For maximum strength in the new fittings, you could get a machine shop to make up backing plates for the winches to mount under the plywood. In US prices, they would together cost less than $50, and would give the maximum possible strength to the winch mount.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972