• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35 main traveler upgrade

saildad

Member II
Its finally FINISHED!!!:egrin:
I have been working on the new traveler for my 74 E-35 for some time now and man was it worth it!!
Such a dream to use!
Look for a very detailed if not all together overwinded and detailed description of the entire process. From tearing out the old to mounting the new its all there. Should be up on the project page as soon as Sean and I can get it all together.
Have a great day!
Capt Bill
74 E-35
ON PORPOISE
Channel Islands CA

windjunkee

Member III
Who did you have make the traveller?
I replaced the mainsheet traveller on our 1970 E-32 last spring. Unfortunately, it took over 3 months to complete. We had Garhauer make the traveller. What complicated things was the curved nature of the cockpit divider, so they had to custom-bend the track. Then, the first time out, the track they used was WAY too big (i.e. beefy) for the cockpit. Although it was cut the right length, the width gave problems at the binnacle and at each end (in that we could not open the cockpit locker). So we got a different one. The most fun part was reaching the undersides of the bolts to snug them down.
However, with that done, we had replaced a small track with just manual stoppers to a larger one with control lines which makes a HUGE difference in the ease with which we can trim the main to the proper shape.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
How did you get the curve of the traveller matched to the boat? Did you measure specific coordinates, or did you send in a tracing of it?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

windjunkee

Member III
Gareth,

That part was easy. We took the old track off the boat, being extra careful to make sure we didn't bend or tweak it, then we gave the old track to Garhauer as a template. We also measured the arc and gave it to them mathematically, but they didn't use that part for the manufacture of the track.
It was ONLY supposed to take a couple of weeks to make, and we had the rudder off for its modifications, but when it ended up taking 4 months, we drilled some extra holes (I HATE doing that) and put a U-bolt on the centerline so that we could go out sailing.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

saildad

Member II
I have used a harken 1618 track. This is a beefier track meant to span open spaces such as the cockpit. The track is straight. This will be much clearer to all once all the pics are up on the sight. I am awaiting a reply from Sean on how to get the pics to him so he can get it on the site for all to sea.
Capt Bill
74 E-35
ON PORPOISE
Channel Islands Harbor

lbertran

Member III
Harken Track

I used the Harken High-Beam track which can span the two traveler towers and does not need support in between. Harken was able to bend that track so it follows the original contour of the boat. I simply filled the holes in the sea hood with thickened epoxy. I think a straight track is probably more efficient in its performance but I'm happy with both the performance and appearance of my new Harken traveler.