• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 25+ questions

sproption

Member II
I am a very interested potential owner of an Ericson 25+.

I have done so many comparisons with a host of other boats by proxy, (Practical Sailor, the net, etc.) that I am approaching paralysis by analysis! Never been aboard one, though and I do have to take that step, but...

If anyone owns a 25+ or knows any of the characteristics of this boat, I am all ears (eyes).

I do have a few concerns. Do any of these boats have space available for a dodger? What is the difference in the bilge between the deep draft 4'11" version and the 3'11" shoal draft version?

Thanks
Sproption
Non-owner (hopefully not too long)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bilges and Dodgers

FWIW, on a boat with an external keel, the hull (interior bilge) will be the same regardless of the depth of the keel bolted onto it.
Putting on a dodger is no different than any other similar sized sailboat. We designed and had one fabbed up for our prior 26 foot sloop. It rains a lot here and we needed a narrow "hatch width" dodger in order to leave the boards our and the hatch open on wet days. Kept the spray out, too!
Believe me, it sure beats having the rain come straight down inside... and it's hard enough already to stay dry in any small boat... :)

(Kind of like ye olden days when I drove a clapped out TR-3. When we ran out of dry towels to stuff around the windshield and side curtains it was time to go home!)
:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

sproption

Member II
Bilges and a Dodger on an E-25+

Dear Loren.

Thank you for your input.:egrin:

The keel on an E-25+ is internal cast lead. All E-25+ feature 2,000 of ballast, so the $64,000 question is how do they make up the 1 foot of draft in the shallow draft E-25+? Is the keel longer, wider, or is the lead seated 1 foot higher...in the bilge?

As to the dodger, I am sold, make no mistake. My problem is the E-25+ has a traveler mounted on the bridge deck. All of the photos on boats.com and yachtworld of E-25+ for sale, feature not one with a dodger! Coincidence?

Did you own an E-26? They are similar boats.

Sincerely,

Sproption.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm....
If the ballast is internal, then there would not be two different "keels."
Some of the Ericson old timers are gonna have to check in with the real scoop. :confused:

Speaking of dodgers, both our present and previous boat (the Niagara 26) have cockpit-mounted travelers and both, as noted, have dodgers.
The limitation is that you just cannot bring the dodger top rear bow back completely over the bridgedeck , so you do not chafe on the mainsheet.
(Same limitation on the RH Ericson 33.)

This pair of views does not clearly show the mainsheet, which is on a bridgedeck on our boat, but you get the general idea of the protection it provides to the interior.
Loren in PDX
:egrin:

Attachments

• DodgerTwoViews.jpg
    DodgerTwoViews.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
?????

One of our friends owned a 25+ and the keel was external not encapsulated on the boat. It was about a 1980 vintage. Are you sure your not confusing this with the older 25? The 25+ is a fractional rig. The older ones were masthead (similar to the 27).
Bud E34 #265 "Escapade":cheers:

sproption

Member II
Dodgers

Dear Lauren,

Thanks for the input. That type of dodger would seem to work on the E-25+. The pictures speak a thousand words!

I take it "hiding" behind it in rough weather is a little tougher since it does not span the beam of the deckhouse. In the best of all possible worlds, that would be the preferred choice. But at least your photos help me with options.

Thank you!

Sproption.

sproption

Member II
E-25+ keel design

Dear Bud,

Thank you. Nope, the drawings, brochures, Practical Sailor, etc. all describe internal lead ballast. I obtained more than 1/2 half of the information on this website titled, "Specs and Documents" I double checked and yes, internal.

As for the rig, you are correct, 7/8ths.

From what I can ascertain there was the E-25 trailor sailor with a massive pivoting keel and narrow at 8 feet on the beam. There was an E-25 with a fixed keel but without a quarter berth.

I am hot for the 25+, 9'3" on the beam, quarter berth, 6' head room, enclosed head, fractional rig, tabernacle mast. Some are fitted with a saildrive. Got a great review from Practical Sailor.

Sincerely,

Sproption

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The E-25+ Spec Sheets on this site appear to be a preliminary brochure, and while clearly showing the "delta keel" and explaining how this is common to the late model family of BK designed yachts, also state in an early paragraph that the ballast is internal. I believe this could maybe a typo that slipped past the proofers on the way to getting a two-color brochure out to the dealers. Both keels, deep and shoal, were offered as options. Puzzling.
The minute you see one of these boats, look in the bilge for a row of keel bolts!

They made an error again in '88 when they started production on my model, the Olson 34, and quickly rushed to the printers with a whole Olson lineup brochure showing the wrong keel and rudder profile, and even the wrong arrangement of portlights... :p FWIW, the interior layout and sailplan drawn was correct, though. :rolleyes:

Stuff Happens. In every industry.

That's my take on it.
Loren

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

E25+ with internal ballaast.

Loren and all, I too remember those bolts in the bilge of my 1979 E25+ but those were the attachment points for the crane or whatever to drop the lead into the internal space. I really don't think any E25+ or the later E26 (almost the same boat) ever were fitted with a bolt-on external keel. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 (internal keel), Marina del Rey, CA

sproption

Member II
My source!

Dear Glyn,

Your the kind of guy I have been looking for!

Did you have a dodger on your 25+?

May I ask you some other questions that might help me make my choice?

Sincerely,

Sproption

Rob

Member II
Dodger

Not sure if this will help, but here's a picture of the dodger on our E26 (assuming that my effort to attach the file succeeds)...

Attachments

• E26 Dodger.jpg
    E26 Dodger.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,748

Glyn Judson

Is: Dodger Was: My source!

Spropsion, No we did not have a dodger on our E25+ but we do have a full-width one on our E31 and it also has a bridge deck traveler. As Loren already pointed out, the dodger really can't come back much more aft than the traveler without chafing issues but that's never been a problem for us and has always given more than enough protection from wind whipped spray and all out deluges of water. We also have a Bimini with a removable insert between it and the dodger which gives us over 10 feet of protected space, good for summer or winter weather when on a mooring or in a slip. I added a snap shackle to the bottom of the fiddle block of my main sheet that attaches it to the traveler car. When on a mooring in Catalina for several days, rain or shine, I relocate the main sheet to a car on the starboard Genoa track and fit the insert between the two. That's where the 10+ feet of covered cockpit space comes in and makes the it down right livable out there on the hottest of days, not to mention that it keeps you dry in a pounding rain when trying to get below with an armful of groceries, etc. For you and others reading this, I was given a great tip by a former E31 owner about how to comfigure the attachment of the insert between the Bimini and the dodger such that it can be partially used under sail. It consists of four zippers, two on the leading edge and two more on the trailing egde. The zippers start at all four corners and lead to the center. This way the insert can be used when under way on a given point of sail with one half unzipped and flopped sideways over the other half and snapped along the side edges together. The reason for that design is that it allows the main sheet to work in the open half of the insert space. It's proved itself very helpful many, many times during the summer when going to or mainly returning from Catalina Island where the passage is almost six hours on one point of sail. We always have a dog with us and oft times, dark fur ones. They cook in the SoCal summer sun without shade which half an insert does a good job of providing. Email me back channel at glynjudson@adelphia.net and I can send you some photos showing you the dodger, insert and Bimini all attached. Hope some of this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
25+

The 25+/newer 26 DOES have a delta keel that looks like the bigger bolt-on types, but on this boat it is also encapsulated-It is built similarly in this respect to the 37/29/32-2/35-2, but the keel looks very much like the 30+, 32-3, etc. So that may answer the confusion. The shoal draft keel was fatter, and I think longer. IIRC, there were 2 hull molds-one for the deep keel and one for the shoal-this is how the 2 shapes were offered. The deeper keel is a better performer-noticeably so-unless you are in a very light air region-and even then the thinner keel is faster.

This is how I remember it, but it is getting hazy back there..
S

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank You!

The 25+/newer 26 DOES have a delta keel that looks like the bigger bolt-on types, but on this boat is is also encapsulated-It is built similarly in this respect to the 37/29/32-2/35-2, but the keel looks very much like the 30+, 32-3, etc. So that may answer the confusion. The shoal draft keel was fatter, and I think longer. IIRC, there were 2 hull molds-one for the deep keel and one for the shoal-this is how the 2 shapes were offered. The deeper keel is a better performer-norticeably so-unless you are in a very light air region-and even then the thinner keel is faster.
This is how I remember it, but it is getting hazy back there..
S

:hail: Seth, Yet again: Thank You!

25+

I have been thinking about trying to have a Dodger made for my 1983 25+.

Some of the problems with this is, 1. The boom height is quite low with the main deployed. Standing in the cockpit the boom is at EAR level. This would make for a very low overhead going into the cabin with a Dodger. 2. I though of raising the boom, but this would affect performance. Does any one know how much of a I would lose if I were to raise the boom and shorten the main by 10-12".

The picture in a previous post of the newer 26' (1984) or later has a much different deck layout. Cabin top traveler, and cockpit floor-boom height is much more.

I am thinking that the best thing I can do to get out of some of the sun would be is a small Bimini off the stern pulpit. Anyone out there have any luck with one.

The boat sails and handles great, keeps up with most 27-28' boats. I single hand most of the time with the AP.

Good Luck
s/v BREEZE
Rich

sproption

Member II
Dodger and E-25+

Dear Rich,

Thank you for participation in this discussion.

Would you be willing to share your impressions of the E-25+ with me as well? Your info about your dodger problems is very helpful to me.

Sincerely,

Sproption

rssailor

E 25+

Hello SP.
I have owned a 1979 E 25+ for about ten years now. The boats are great and sail very well. I have no dodger on my boat, but every once in a while would have liked one. The boats are a bit tender as the ballast does not go all the way to the bottom of the keel. The last six to eight inches of the keel are fiberglass and foam. The boat is molded as a one piece hull and keel with the lead encapsulated inside the hollow keel cavity. Overall a very good boat and fast for its size. Mine is propeled by an outboard motor. I also have trailered the boat a fair bit, though not in the last three years. Ryan