• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 standing rig wire size??

neil

Hello,
I am looking for a boat and am considering an '87 E35-3. The standing rigging is original and I want to get an estimate for replacement. Can anyone tell me the wire size or sizes?
Also, I would appreciate any comments from owners about any potential problems to look for.
Neil

lbertran

Member III
Specs & Documents

Go to the Spec & Documents page on this site and you'll find complete specs and manual for the 35-3. It's an awesome boat.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Standing Rigging Cost

Going strictly from memory, it was a little under $2K to have new rigging made up for us last year. The rigging is an odd mix (as designed) of 7/32, 1/4 and 5/16 inch wire.

We looked at a lot of boats before settling on (another) Ericson last year. While not perfect, I've been happy with our choice.

-Cory

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Welcome Neil. One of our favorite anchorages when down east is Buckle Cove. This year we hope to try Burnt Coat H. I have an '85 35-3 and it is a wonderfull boat. Good luck with the purchase and let me know if I can help.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rigging...

Neil,
While nothing can take the place of doing solid research, there will always be some questions about "best practice."
Your prospective purchase is very popular now and well constructed and designed when it was new.
As other owners have noted, there is good information than can be d/l from this site. If you have questions about this site, first click on "FAQ" in the blue bar above these messages, and then ask any of us if you are still puzzled.

I would reccommend Brion Toss's fine rigging book:
http://www.briontoss.com/index.html
Once there, click on Catalog and navigate to his book the Riggers Apprentice.
It has become the gold standard reference for sailors, regardless of boat owned. (That's just "IMHO", admittedly.)
Study that and you will at least know enough to separate out the facts from the guestimates when you talk to local riggers...

When you have a more specific question, Brion has a Q&A forum at his web site:
http://www.briontoss.com/spartalk/

Do keep us posted on your purchase.

All the Best,
Loren

Last edited:

neil

Thanks for the responses. What a detailed and useful forum this is! I hope this 35-3 works out.
Thanks,
Neil