• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing New Wind Instrument

lbertran

Member III
The Datamarine Wind instrument on my 1985 E35-3 has given out and I'm considering replacing it with a Raymarine that can talk to my wheel pilot for steering to wind angle. I talked to a rigger who said it's usually possible to run the mast cable with the mast up as long as the cable is not tied down inside the mast. He said I can pull the new cable up and through with the old cable.
Any other Mark 3 owners out there who have done this with the mast up? Are there any spots where the original cable is tied down inside the mast? Thanks for any info or tips.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
If your boat is like mine, the cables are run in a chase behind the sail track, not inside the mast. I am not certain if it is possible to remove the track while the mast is up.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Thanks, Geoff

I guess will have to go aloft to discover whether it's possible to pull the cable through.

Laura

lbertran

Member III
Wireless Is Attractive Idea

Geoff-
I've ruled out the Tack Tick for the reason you cite. I like the Nexus instruments and had been looking for info on the rumored wireless wind instrument. Thanks for the link. My only problem with Nexus is that I prefer an analog wind direction pointer and while Nexus has one, it doesn't include wind speed in that display. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but...

Laura

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
FYI, I see that Pyacht carries the line. Let us know how it turns out as I am considering a similar upgrade (after I pay for painting the boat!)

Richard Elliott

Member III
Installing Wind Instrument

I had my Horizon wire replaced yesterday by a rigger on my E34 Kenyon mast.The new wire was tailed to the old wire and threaded down from the masthead. In the Kenyon, the wiring is in a box just forward of the mast track.