• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cuttlass bearing and strut repaired 36c cont

Sid

BOATBUMMS
We rigged up a line thst went oner the stbd cap rail from the port sheet winch to the strut .Then we set up the hooka rig. I went over the side with a 4lb hammer and as my wife kept the line tight I spent the next 2hrs hitting the strut thats a tuff job underwater. We were able to get about half of the bend back and the shaft off the hull, I could even turn the prop but with great difficulty. Well it seemed thet it might work even that the was working with a curve. Keeping an eye on it we made it to Venezuela. Now in the yard for a real repair. The strut was totaly out of wack and it took a pipe wrench to get the shaft out, after the coupling flang broke with a puller (all is 30yrs old). had to peel out the bearing from the strut and the one in the hull had a set screw we could not find. Using a homade slide hammer that one came out along with the screw.New shaft and coupling made ($300) We were able to bend the strut back into a location that let me turn shaft by hand with very little effort and I'll add a dripless because during all this the stuffing box dissapeared.