• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cutless bearing and strut repaired 36c

Sid

BOATBUMMS
What ever you do, do not run over the floats of a fishtrap in Pureto Rico in the middle of the night. We did. At about 2300hrs we on our way off shore from the s/e end of Pureto rico headed for Sun Bay in Visquez (Spanish Virgins) motorsailing into 12kt winds 4-5 swell all on thr nose (noserly) and we were even looking for fish traps, they aer all along the south coast of PR. Things were going good (it always starts that way) Then BANG!!!!!! It was obvious that we hit something, I checked for leaks, the motor was still running fine. After a short time there come a lond squeel comming from the shaft area under the boat, no vibrations so we slowed down the noise went away. something was up but couldn't turn around so we went on. A little bit of squeeling but no leaks and no vibrations. Arrived in Sun Bay at daybreak.
After coffee I jumped into the water and looked at the prop. At first there was nothing out of place, thanks to the Shaft Shark cutter. Then I tried to turn the prop, no go. I could see the strut was bent to port a good 3" I could see the shaft was curving as it exited the hull and was rubbing the hull (next thread)