• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Kubota Water Pump for Universal Motor

Alex

I need to replace the water pump on my Universal 5432. I believe that the corresponding Kubota tractor engine number is V-1501. Does anyone know if there is a difference between tractor water pumps and marine ones? (this is the fresh water pump).
-Alex

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Now were talking! I had to replace my coolant pump on the 5432 last season and got soaked for the "marine" price of $350.00 I have the old pump and have yet to find the time to go to the Kubota dealer and see if I could find a match. There should be no difference at all between the tractor and the marine part. Just make sure that you look the parts over side-by-side when you swap them. There is a possibility that the impeller on the new pump will be pressed sheetmetal and the old pump will have a cast/machined impeller. This will make no difference, its done to cut costs in the manufacturing, so as long as it bolts up you are good to go.

Please post the part numbers if you get the pump. Many others here would be grateful.

If you are at the Kubota dealer you may also want to ask about a double crankshaft pulley and a double water pump pulley. A full double belt setup will turn a much larger alternator....

RT

I just went thru this with the universal Kubota dealer in St Petersburg. My 30 year old Universal has Sherwood raw and fresh water pumps. I replaced the raw water pump with a Oberdorfer which works fine and has a much easier impellor replacement. I wrongly assumed the same Oberdorfer would work on the fresh water side but it does not. It takes a Sherwood only so now I am trying to sell the extra Oberdorfer.
The Kubota replacement pump "the book" says will work in NO WAY will work..[totally different].
The best alternative is to have the Sherwood rebuilt with new bearings, seals and impellor so that is what I will do. Yacht Power in St Petersburg rebuilds the Sherwoods for $50.00 plus parts.
Regards,
Allen Jenneman

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Rob and Alex,
A few years ago I replaced our coolant (fresh water) pump for our Universal 5432 based on a Kubota 1502 block. Some 5432 and early M40 engines are based on 1501 blocks and others on a 1502. There are some very similar but slightly different pump designs. The key is to count the number of bolts on the entire pump, which includes that bizarre descending tongue shaped face. (Looks like a map of Florida) The Universal part runs about $325 + another $15 for the gasket. The Kubota part runs about $120. If you search eBay for "Kubota tractor water pump" you can get one for about $70 including the gasket. Match the picture with yours. That is what I did. As noted above, the centrifugal pump blades are made slightly differently than in the original, but it doesn't matter. We simply masked and painted the outside, torqued the bolts to spec, and it fit like a glove. The only nuisances are draining, refilling, & burping the coolant and removing all of the old gasket without scratching the bed. Our new pump has been perfect and I expect it to last for many more years.
Mike Jacker

Thanks for your comment...yes I looked at these pumps but none of them will fit...I think it comes down to the model of the Universal and the age...My 5411 model is 30 years old and is the original Universal in my 1985 28.5 Ericson..The engine runs like new [knock on wood] do not know the hours...it never had an hour meter...I am the third owner and have owned the boat since 1999...Considering the age on the Sherwood pumps I think it is time for new pumps just to be safe. the Oberdorfer is a great replacement for the raw water pump but after spending a good part of the day talking with the local Kubota / Universal dealer. and the mechanics here in St Pete and looking at pumps the conclusion is that rebuilding the Sherwood fresh water recirculation pump that it came with is the ONLY viable solution for this particular 30+ year old motor. I am Ok with that...just have an Oberdorfer now that I probably will never need.
Love my Ericson 28.5...has a 10' 6" beam....6-2 headroom...a tremendous boat for the money....
Regards,
Allen Jenneman

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Fresh water (coolant) pump part number

The pump that fit on my Kubota V1502 block was model #15521-73033. There are always some on eBay.
Mike

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Universal 5411 and Kubota/Sherwood Pumps

Hi Respected Sailors
We have a Sherwood Fresh Water Pump and a Kubota Salt Water Pump. Could you clarify which pump has to be a Sherwood? I'm surmising that it must be the fresh water pump. That fresh water pump was very difficult to change and replace many years ago. I don't recall anything different about the mounting but maybe there was? The Sherwood must be 30 years old and could be due to replace so I carry a rebuilt Sherwood pump. The Oberdorfer salt waterpump is newer but not much and would be a easy replacement. Maybe we had better save that Sherwood as a fresh water replacement.
Thanks for your help!
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Universal raw water and fresh water pumps

Hi pat and thanks for your reply,
Yes you are correct. On my 5411 the raw water/salt water pump is now an Oberdorfer which replaced the original Sherwood raw/ salt water pump.
As I previously stated after much research to find a potential replacement for the 30+ year old Sherwood fresh water recirculation pump, the conclusion is the Sherwood is the ONLY pump that will work on that engine so I am going to have it rebuilt and probably carry a spare for each.
You are also correct that changing the fresh water Sherwood is a big job that takes 4 to 5 hours on my 28.5 Ericson mainly because of the difficulty in reaching the bolts that hold it on and in what you have to remove to pull the pump free but it is well worth it because of the peace of mind in that not maintaining this pump could potentially ruin the engine.
Regards,
Al Jenneman

Pat O'Connell

Member III
5411 Fresh Water Pump

Hi Allen
Thanks I'll save the Sherwood Pump for FW use only!
Please check the mount flange on the Sherwood that you obtain to make sure that the flange is flat. I got a bad one and could not mount it. Also important to equilibrate the new pump. I had a FW Sherwood fail after two years and I think it was because I did not get it centered in the hole. The pump leaked AF from the weep hole. Your 4-5 hours was my time too and that was with a great tool handler helper.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Chips
Universal 5411

Last edited: