• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need new SS guard for YS pedestal

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My stock vertical SS straight guard is in fine shape, but we need a taller angled one on which to mount a chartplotter/GPS unit. (The guard we have has the top loop just a bit higher than the top of the compass.)

So far my research finds new ones available for Edson in several configurations, but none for the tube size and spacing used by out-of-business Yacht Specialties (YS).
Our width is 12.5 inches on center.

Has anyone sourced a replacement with overall heigth of about 58" to 60" ?
This needs to be in 1" tubing, with the 12.5" width where it goes thru the compass support plate on both sides.

I can invent my own bracket for the chartplotter.

As some of you know, we had (and that's past tense) an excellent SS marine fabricator here in the Portland area, but he closed the business in December. Woe is us.)

What with so many thousand of these wheel steering systems around from YS (aka Merriman YS), there would seem to be a market for this sort of upgrade.)

Yeah, I know that I can find someone to hopefully read a drawing and bend one for me, but it is just nicer to find an marine-experienced shop. Tomorrow or the next day I shall try a phone call to Mark at Garhauer, down in sunny California.

Thanks,

:cool:
Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Marine Fabricators

Loren,

If you can't find a local guy you trust, call my pal Mark Shutts and Shutts Marine Fabricators in Long Beach. He is a bit eccentric, but a true craftsman, and honest (if not cheap). His info:MARK SHUTTS FABRICATORS
6400 Marina Dr. #10., Long Beach, CA. 90803
Tel: 562 594-4237

Be sure and tell him I referred you. We are long time sailing and delivery mates-although I have lived in the Midwest for 6 years, I am still in touch with him mainly via email-but we DO stay in frequent touch.

Good luck,

S

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The PO of my boat had someone cut off the top of the YS stand and add a upper angled section for the chartplotter/instruments. it is narrower than the YS stand. Whoever did it did a nice job and if you can find a good fabricator I highly recommend the modification. Someone else wanted pics of this but the boat is covered right now, sorry.... RT

Thomas H

Member I
I have the same size of my 35-3, i called Navpod in So.Ca. they advised that i could change out the compass bracket with on that is 12" and that would open up a world of options. Hope this helps put.
Thomas

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thomas, what do you mean by a compass bracket of 12"? What is the size you have now? Would this make the compass lower? Sorry, cannot picture what you mean.

Thomas H

Member I
You will need to remove the pedestal guard and the guard support that is mounted just below the compass,both of these parts are 12.75 on centers and sell them,then you will need to buy a new guard support part that is 12" on center,at that point you have the option of buying the new style of pedestal guards that are on the market and pods to house are the goodies,I too want to bring things closer to the helm but i want a clean look. Hope this helps.
Thomas

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Now I get it. Thanks Thomas. I would assume you would need to move the guard bases and reposition them on the cockpit sole. I believe my bases are set on a specifically molded section of the sole that would make them difficult to move.

Thomas H

Member I
Yes,the new bases will come with the new guard,as for the lower new location, i have laid mine out,remember that you are only moving inside about 3/8" on each side, in my case it still fits into the depressed spots and still covered the old hole for the wiring, you might have a little spot of different color sole,about 1/8". Mine has some kind of a "GOFFY" Pod that sits on top of the guard that looks like Crap.Hope this helps?
Thomas

JORGE

Member III
I tried "tops in quality".com to build a missing stanchion gate. They can probably engineer the guard too. I would also like to have one made with an angle forwad since I have an E32 with a YS pedestal and binnacle compass atop. I would like to see a photo of the setup so I can mount a GPS and depth ffinder.