• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Traveler Upgrade

Shadowfax

Member III
I'm looking to upgrade the moving parts on my '88 E34's traveler. The originial equipment was by Schaefer and the track is 1.25 inches wide, 1.0 inch tall and "I" beam shaped. I called Garhauer to see if there product would fit a Schaefer track and spoke with a gentleman with a pretty heavy accent who I'm pretty sure was telling me that every manufacturer's traveler's cars are proprietary to their track, in other words, not interchangeable.

Has anyone found this to be true? If you have upgraded without changing the track, which company, etc., worked for you?

Thanks in advance

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a Ronstan track on my E38 but their was some Schaefer blocks on it so I originally thought it was all Schaefer. When I called Schaefer they said that the cars MAY be rebuildable but I would have to send them to Schaefer so they could determine if this was so. You may want to contact Schaefer and ask....

The guy you talked to a Garhuaer is Guido and he is very nice. Currently my old traveler is en-route to Garhauer to be copied. From what I have seen and priced out this is the best way and in some ways the cheapest to go. The thing that turned me off about Schaefer is they seem to be one of the most expensive and looking at their hardware I cannot see why it would be.... RT

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Paul - I would assume that everyone's track is proprietary.

I talked to Schaefer and they convinced me that their traveler was not correctly sized for an E-34. I don't know about Garhaurer because when I converted they could not deal with a curved track. I went with Harken and have not had a problem with the decision. Make sure that whoever you chose will fit your dodger setup. There is not much room.

I bought the big boat track to span between the aluminum end supports. I didn't tie it to the sea hood. Harken bent it for me as I sent them my old track as a template.

Shadowfax

Member III
Traveler Blues

I talked to Schaefer and they convinced me that their traveler was not correctly sized for an E-34.

Tom,

I can believe that. It is almost impossible to bring up the traveler in any kind of wind, which is why I wanted to go from, what I guess is a 1:4, to a 1:6 and better truck. I was hoping to do that without turning it into a full blown project with replacing the track and was hoping to just change out the cars and truck. Alas it seems this is not to be. Maybe next year, as it's late in the winter to be taking traveler tracks off and sending it across the country as a template. I hope to be in the water in 2 months.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Paul - The Schaefer traveler had a three to one rig. I put a four to one on the Harken replacement and I like it. I still takes some effort when the wind is up, but is very doable. and doesn't add too much string to the cockpit.

I siezed the eyes rather than splicing them to keep the eye short.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
When I replaced the traveller on my 35-2 I stayed with schaffer. I did a new track so that I could have a traveller that would adjust under load. They bent the track to a template I sent them. Looks great. Garhauer wouldn't work on my boat. the parts were too clunky and I would have lost some of my traveller length with all the clunk. It was kind of expensive, but dear god! money well spent. I was so tired of easing the sheets to move the pins. What a bore. I trim with the traveller now almost more than I trim with the sheets. Sounds like you already have a traveller track that accomodates the modern schaffer traveller block. Sounds like you just need to change out some stuff to increase your purchase.

Last edited: