• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

keel re bedding

Ed Congdon

My E32-200 is in winter storage in New Jersey, covered with a -65 anti freeze in the bilge. One of my marina neighbors was checking on the boats and noticed liquid leaking from the joint between the hull and keel. He discussed this with some other owners before he called me and the general opinion is that the keel needs to be re bedded. The boat does not take on an abnormal amout of water when it is in the water. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
links and thoughts

Sure sounds like some water has accunulated in the interface between top of lead casting and hull mating surface.
What with the age of any mid-late 80's 32-200 series, it is definitely time to drop the keel and rebed anyway. We did that for our '88 boat several years ago, and we were glad that we did.
;)
We were motivated by some seepage of water around a keel bolt, but whether that or your symptom, I would be concerned with water sitting around those SS "keel bolts" (actually long threaded rods that are probably J-hook shaped down inside the lead casting). SS will corrode readily when wet/damp and deprived of oxygen.
One of the threads of this site has closeups of this result, and comments on how it was repaired.

If you are hauling for a bottom job this year, do the re-bed. My take on it is that sometimes you have to spend some maint. money to save even more repair money later.

Here is the link to just one of several applicable threads;
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3448&referrerid=28

Advice here worth what you're paying... and, of course, YMMV.
:nerd:

Best wishes,
Loren in Portland, OR

Last edited: