• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wind Instruments

Walter Pearson

Member III
I have my mast down on my E27 for several reasons, one being to do something about an old SR Mariner anemometer that has needed replacement cup assemblies on three or four occasions over 15 years. It seems they should be more durable than that. But to honest, when it wasn't working, I really didn't miss it that much. My sail and rigging controls depend on what's happening to the boat at the moment, what weather I can see coming, and sometimes on what NOAA is predicting. I'm not sure I ever look at the indicator and make a decision based on the needle position. Most of the time, my marina mates use theirs to compare readings when the wind picks up and we're tied up in the slips. (Actually, now they just look up at my 2 out of 3 cup affair and if it's turning at all, it's blowing pretty good.)

I don't race and now I'm wondering if I should simplify things, lighten things up, forget the masthead unit and get a handheld instrument in case I need to broadcast conditions for some reason. There are times when the winds are fluky and my neck gets sore checking the Windex, so I can see some value in a wind direction indicator in the cockpit, but $900 seems a lot for all that. Anyone solved this dilemma? Other ideas?

Walter Pearson

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Windy thoughts

I don't race and now I'm wondering if I should simplify things, lighten things up, forget the masthead unit and get a handheld instrument in case I need to broadcast conditions for some reason. There are times when the winds are fluky and my neck gets sore checking the Windex, so I can see some value in a wind direction indicator in the cockpit, but $900 seems a lot for all that. Anyone solved this dilemma? Other ideas?
Walter Pearson

I would cast a vote for the solution in your last paragraph. A faithful Windex at the masthead (and maybe a Davis handheld wind meter for those times when you get curious as to just how scared you should be...).

We had no wind instrument on our prior 26 footer for a decade and that spar was taller than an E-27. OTOH, we found that we wanted one on the present boat because our masthead is a lot further off the water and not as easy to see the Windex at a glance. I do still use the Windex for a double-check reference, though. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, and with the wind and speed meter linked, I can display True Wind. (Not exactly necessary, but fun.)
:)

Cheers,
Loren
O-34 #8
:cheers:

CaptDan

Member III
I would cast a vote for the solution in your last paragraph. A faithful Windex at the masthead (and maybe a Davis handheld wind meter for those times when you get curious as to just how scared you should be...).

We had no wind instrument on our prior 26 footer for a decade and that spar was taller than an E-27. OTOH, we found that we wanted one on the present boat because our masthead is a lot further off the water and not as easy to see the Windex at a glance. I do still use the Windex for a double-check reference, though. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, and with the wind and speed meter linked, I can display True Wind. (Not exactly necessary, but fun.)

Cheers,
Loren
O-34 #8
:cheers:

From day #1, the windspeed/direction instruments were in op on our boat. I considered replacing it, then decided $700 - plus the install time - weren't worth the effort. And just last week, I removed what was left of the old wiring when I rewired the mast lights.

I wouldn't be a happy camper without my trusty Windex; I'm just used to seeing it up there. But for windspeeds, my Kestrel 1000 hasn't missed a beat.
Funny thing is, if you use one of those gadgets for awhile, you'll find yourself trying to guess ahead what Mr Beaufort's saying. Nine times out of ten, you'll be within one knot.

Close enough for jazz.:D

YMMV.
Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Me too. Lots of miles with just the good old windex.

When I bought the boat she had an old Signet direction and speed. I kept having to fix it to keep it working. Then we would all argue at the club later about how hard it was blowing out there (SF Bay) . Got old.
Took it of the mast.
Less windage, less weight aloft, no more arguments!

Since then 1 x Mexico 3 x Hawaii.

kiss

Phil:nerd:

JMS

Member II
Windex with a good flashlight to illuminate it at night. Handheld windspeed if you gotta have a gadget. Phil, IMHO, nailed it, keep it simple.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Thanks for the input. I will try my best to keep the gadget guy in me suppressed. It's going to be hard, though, with wireless, self-powered instruments now. And I figure if they can get wireless cameras mounted on bumblebees, I should be able to get something up the mast that will look at the Windex so I don't get a crick in my neck.
It's tough keeping it simple when we have so much off-season to think up ways to complicate things.

JMS

Member II
If you gotta have a gadget...

Silva/ComNav is releasing a wireless masthead unit for their NX-2 series instruments. From personal experience I highly recommend the Silvas: flexible, reliable, xlnt. displays and about half the cost of TackTick Micronets.

http://www.comnavmarine.com/

PYacht.net seems to have the best prices.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The limits of electricity

Before going with Tacktick, you might want to do some 'net searches on them. I thought I remembered reading some critical magazine articles on their battery setup, and found this with a quick Google search....
http://cnc-list.com/pipermail/cnc-list_cnc-list.com/2006-July/003719.html

It's just a discussion, but it does kinda speak to the heart of the (potential) problem.

:rolleyes:
"Within every solution lies a new problem just waiting to emerge."
...as some wag once observed.

Loren

Richard Elliott

Member III
I'm going to try one more time to get my Standard Horizon working. Wind speed worked one month after installation. Replacement masthead unit didn't help. Appears to be a problem in the in-mast wiring. Bought a new cable from Horizon and will install next week. Last chance for this unit!

Richard Elliott

Member III
I give up on the Standard Horizon. Rigger went up the mast last week and reinstalled the masthead unit which had checked out O.K. and replaced tne in-mast wiring cable down to a junction box in the headliner. It still shows wind direction but zero windspeed.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Standard Horizon Wind & Speed Instruments

Five years ago I replaced my SR Mariner Instruments(after 20 years)with the Standard Horizon 45 Instruments (WS45?????)......

At first they gave me absoloute fits.....Followed thier instructions to the letter...did all the goofy things like slowly turning the wind Indicator to initialize it...etc.....

Called the company and explained everything......they sent me a complete new set......went through the routine again, and they worked like a charm....checked wind speed on a dead calm day under power against the GPS speed, and at the same time calibrated the boat speed ......was one happy camper......

They had just changed hands and became part of a large Japanese electronics firm at that time......

It is worth a try to see what they will do for you......they sure get my vote...but then...I am sure there are horror stories.....but to repeat...well worth a try