• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shaft strut mount

johnstond

Good evening everyone,
I have a couple of questions about my 72 35II that've been bugging me for a while now and hopefully someone can help me out. Number one is how is the shaft strut mounted to the boat? Mine seems to be on some flexible rubber-like base (very stiff) that is not through bolted... what is that and how does it stay there? And number two, the cubbies under the winches in the cockpit/ do those have drain holes that I can't find?
Oh, and does anyone else have a Graymarine in their's?
Thanks,
Don

chaco

Member III
E3511 Shaft Strut

The 74' E35II shaft strut is glassed in to the hull :D
Gray Marine is similiar to Atomic 4. Replaced mine with BETA 902-Diesel
Let me know as you need additional help on this Beast :nerd:

Good Luck :egrin: :egrin:

Attachments

• 106_0655.jpg
    106_0655.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 166

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Don - Welcome to the list members. That is a great boat you have.

One of the design flaws in your boat is that there is no drainage for the cubby holes, and the way they angle down to the outboard corner means water often sits there. The base of the cubby hole is a large piece of 0.5" plywood that also forms the deck core immediately forward and aft of the cubby hole, so the water essentially drains into the deck core.

I would recommend lining the outside of the cubby hole with glass, to prevent that mode of entry into the core, and sealing the plywood base with epoxy. I have thought about installing a drain, running a hose to the cockpit, but the hose would have to go through the cabin, providing an extra potential water entry point right over the quarter berth.

When I had covers made for my coamings to protect the varnish, that helped the problem to a degree, as the volume of water was that entered was reduced a lot.

I know it rains in Astoria - I went there once, and struck lucky as the weather was gorgeous. Only there for a day, but a good time - went for a run up the hill overlooking the mouth of the river, and the view was amazing. The locals also gave us a good welcome.

BTW, on rainy day, there is a LOT of information on the 35-2 within the archives here, as there are a good number of owners who are regulars.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

johnstond

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. I'm pulling the boat in May for new bottom paint, propellor shaft, cutlass bearing, and depth transducer. I'll check out the glass around the strut while I'm down there. As for the cubbies, I think I'll epoxy the wood and come up with some sort of drain system... either just bore a small hole through the aft portion of the fiberglass combing or...?
Don