• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin lights get hot...

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Frank - Lots and lots of words, but if you post the model number of the lamps you are using someone can recommend lower wattage lamps. It's not rocket science.

If you are just discovering incandescent lamps get hot... no, I won't go there. :devil:

EGregerson

Member III
soft led

sailnet has an article someone posted from practical sailor; they talk up the sensibulb from sailors solutions; (sailorssolutions.com) low power consumption and finally a 'soft' bulb. Sounds like technology is getting better and better; eventually it will get cheaper and cheaper. Happy sailing!

Guy Stevens

Don't write off florscents...

Florescent lights of the current generation, such as PL series compact fluorescents produce more lumens per watt than current Leds. You have to get a quality florescent lights, not the cheap tube variety that make green light, but something with a good ballast that supports cf style bulbs. Alpenglow makes them in a very nice package.

Just so it doesn't sound like an Alpenglow commercial, you can make you own like theirs, or in some cases convert current light fixtures to them. Ballasts and plugs are available on the market.

The trick is to select the correct light device for you needs.

Led nav, tricolor, and flashlights. Led red sections for night lighting, and a nice soft warm florescent for the rest.

Guy
:)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for the additional ideas, folks. Tom, I do understand that incandescent lights produce heat--what I was getting at was whether the amount of heat mine were producing is normal, or perhaps indicative of a problem, and a potential risk to the boat, wiring, etc. The various responses have given me lots to look into, both to determine if I have the right kind and number of bulbs in the existing fixture, how to determine if the current amount of heat is affecting the wiring and surrounding areas, and possible alternatives if I decide to change the lighting.
Thanks, all, for your help.
Frank.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I want to second Guy's comment on Alpenglow lights. I replaced my fixtures last year -- half of which had stopped working due to a faulty switch that was no longer manufactured. At the time, there was no LED that would give out enough light of a color temperature that I found to be acceptable -- I like the warmth of incandescents, but not the heat, power draw, and maintenance. There is a modification that had to be made to have them work with the liner however.

My boat is much brighter and still pleasant to be in and my doubting partner is a convert now as well.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
In looking at replacing my cabin lights with LEDs I found this from Davis:

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/marine/manuals/3350_LEDClstr_INS.PDF

Got one at the boat show to try out only to find that my cabin lights take a festoon type bulb. In looking at links from this thread I found:

http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds_festoon.htm

Which looks like the right replacement 10mm X 41mm, but I have not measured yet. I like Guys recomendation to go flourescent but the added work of installing the lights themselves as opposed to a few bulbs has me leaning the LED route. I suppose I'll try one and see how I like the light and if I like it enough I'll go with the rest.