• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fire damaged 35-2 on Ebay

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I would say the seller is smoking crack along with most of the people asking question. So many about sails, interior and living aboard. What about the huge area of delamination on the hull caused by the fire. I would be hard pressed to take this boat out into open water even after a repair. Heat can do very nasty things that are not at all visible on the surface. I assume an insurance company totaled this boat so the repair costs must be more than $1000. I bet this guy picked it up at auction for about $1000.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Repairable... IF you have time & money

Bidding is now a bit over 5K. Considering that when done it might have a market value of 15 to 22K (strictly IMHO), is seems like the buyer will have to value their labor hours rather low. Grinding down to good material and then laying new glass and epoxy is only part of the process. Fairing in to the existing layup might take over 50 hours...
Then would come an LPU paint job to cover all that new glass work -- and the yard cost for that would run over 6K for the hull alone. Stripping hardware on the deck to do that part would more than double the repaint cost. Again, that's just IMHO.

When you get all done (presuming you get the LPU really smooth and slick, the boat's value is probably more towards the top of the scale... but then you still have to consider the market resistance to gas-engine sailboats.

Being a classic design from a name builder is all in its favor.

As another sailor often sez on a NW sailing list: "Beyond this point there be dragons!"

(Oh, and do not forget trucking costs, once you buy it...)

:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Judging from the seller's goods from past sales, he's definately a guy who makes money selling a variety of goods on ebay. I don't have anything against businesses such as these, but his outlook on fixing the boat shows that he knows little about the restoration process...

These are great boats--there's a 35-2 in my basin that looks brand new, and if it ever came on the market I'd be mighty tempted to move up. I just hope the buyer who gets this "fire sale" can commit time and money, or owns or works in a boatyard and can fix it up at a cost less than most of us would have to spend to get it done.