• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Slide out Starboard bunk

rod sanburn

Member II
Hello,
I was wondering does anyone have drawings or pictures of the slide out double bunk? I own a E-27 and would like to convert mine. I saw it on a 26+ and a 28+ mid 80's+.
Thanks, Rod

Slide out bunk extender

Hi Ron
I have the slide out extender on my E25+. I will try and attach a photo of it extended and with the cushions in place. That's all I have, now. On my next trip to the boat I will try to take a picture of the plywood panel and post it. I think it's 3/8".
Rich

Attachments

• breeze5.JPG
    breeze5.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 185

Glyn Judson

E25+ slide out berth.

All, I too made that slide out on our E25+ and it worked out fine. We haven't had the boat since 1995 so my memory is a little hazy but if my experience with making slide out berths for our 1969 Airstream Caravel is worth anything, I got rid of the 3/8" plywood and rebuilt using 3/4". You see the 3/8" was too light and any adults weight was enough to cause it to sag in the middle. I'd consider 1/2" at a minimum. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rod sanburn

Member II
Slideout starboard bunk

Glyn,
Thank very much for the info. Did you still have access to storage under settee when closed? Rod

Slide out Bunk

Hi Rod, I was down at the boat today and took some pictures of the plywood extender. If you closely you should be able to copy it. I would go with at least 1/2". good luck.
Rich
s/v BREEZE
1983 E25+

Attachments

• bunkboard1.jpg
    bunkboard1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 314
  • bunkboard2.jpg
    bunkboard2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 316
  • bunkboard3.jpg
    bunkboard3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 312
  • bunkboard4.jpg
    bunkboard4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 297
  • bunkboard5.jpg
    bunkboard5.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 296

Glyn Judson

Slide out berth.

Rod, Do yours like Richards is and as he says, use at least 1/2" plywood. Remove the existing fiddle from the front edge of the settee and attach it to the plywood as his photo shows. Note that you'll need to build a support or track consisting of a teak 1X1 or so out from the settee and to the compression post. I ended up using a very small teak winch pad as a foot for the engine cover step that had a 1/4-20 hanger bolt centered in it that went into a stainless T-nut in the corner of the plywood. It was then a simple matter of install it during use and unscrewing it just before stowing the plywood (see page 499 of the 2006 WM catalog for both parts). The T-nut was shorter than the thickness of the plywood so it slid right in place without scratching anything. I notice that Richards has a number of barrel bolts for securing his. I simply match drilled two holes through the plywood and through the fiberglass along the ourboard curved edge with it in the stowed position and used two 1/4" pins I made from stainless bolts with the heads cut off. I drilled a small hole in the bolt near the end that a cotter ring went through that I used as a handle. I also match drilled two more holes in the fiberglass with the board deployed by using the same two holes in the plywood. Trust me, that plywood stayed in place in or out. It's easier and a really clean way to lock the wood in place. My E25+ had the same slab of fiberglass behind the back cushion that about froze Marilyn's shoulders over night. I scored some 1/2" closed cell foam large enough to entirely cover the area that I simply held in place on the fiberglass with three or four stainless sheet metal screws and fender washers along the top edge of the foam. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey, CA

rod sanburn

Member II
Slideout starboard bunk

Hi Rod, I was down at the boat today and took some pictures of the plywood extender. If you closely you should be able to copy it. I would go with at least 1/2". good luck.
Rich
s/v BREEZE
1983 E25+

Richard,
Thank you so much for the great pics. I will build it this week, before I head to Strickley Sail in Chicago. Rod