• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

compression post...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I'm in a brain picking mood today... :egrin:

Anyone have any thoughts on moving the compression post in our 38-200? It's currently right in front of the mast... Could you move it (assuming it stayed on center line) or have 2 smaller ones?
Just thinking out loud here...
Peanut Gallery?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whoa.....

I suspect that you're having a bit of fun with us... but on the off chance that you're not...
:rolleyes:
The mast on your model is keel stepped; there is no compression post.
Many earlier Ericsons did have a compression post and a deck-stepped mast, BTW.

Cheers,
Loren

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
compression post elimination or what?

Saw the mast off glass over the hole mount a stump for the mast, install a lam-beam across the boat and a crutch behind each seat to support the lam beam.
Could someone pass the rum please?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Loren, well... I'm at a loss as to what to call the 2"-ish diameter post that is about 6" in front of the mast. Compression post was all I could imagine.
Looking into the possibility of a total interior refit (thus the barrel of rum), and wondering about changing the location of it. Was thinking about doing 2 smaller diameter posts that would tie into cabinetry and double as hand holds.
Figured this crowd was the one to ask-- also figured on getting a little flack. Not disappointed on either figure:D

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
You are for real!

Chris, are you talking about the aluminum post shown in the 38-200 brochure? I had always just thought it was the mast. It looks like on the diagram of the layout that a small mark is in front of the mast and just on the edge of the table. The 38 doesn’t appear to have this. What is above deck in line with this post?

Now you have me thinking and it is making my head hurt this morning. I would be interested in seeing your ideas on the interior redesign.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
How about some photos Chris. It sounds like you may have some non factory accessories no one else has.

clayton

Member III
compression post

Deck tie-down perhaps? Or a handhold like back in the galley where you come down the steps?
Clayton

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mystery Post

I found my E-38/200 pics from sightseening/shopping a couple of years ago in Seattle. It is a '93 PSC-built boat.
Aft, there was an SS grab bar on the end of the galley counter, going up to the cabin headliner.
The only view of the main cabin that I have does not show any structure in front of the spar, unless it was immediately in front and would not show in this view.
I believe that the wood inside was varnished cherry. Nice nice boat with a beautiful interior.
(Sidebar: The broker seemed quite uninterested in showing it or selling it... there was a rumor that he later convinced the seller to take a reduced offer from the $125K asking. A Rather Odd way to look out for the seller's interests.)
Here is the photo, FWIW. :rolleyes:
And, with some searching at Yachtworld,com, here also is a borrowed photo (E-38/200) that appears to show an SS pipe just in front of the spar. It looks like they solved the problem of needing a tie rod, hand hold, and a wiring chase with a single pipe.
Not bad.
Note the Ericson Teak interior on the second photo.
Note B: a "tie rod" holds cabin top down, not up.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Attachments

• E-38cabin PSC.jpg
    E-38cabin PSC.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 82
  • E38 post.jpg
    E38 post.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wtf

I hereby join the confused crowd! Anyone know what he is seeing on his boat? Chris-pics please!

Cheers,
S

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hey, Seth, that's not....

Hey, Seth, that's not fair :0305_alar --your job on this site is to provide answers, not be confused and ask questions!!:D ;)
Frank.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ya know... I was scratchin my head the other day...

I couldn't figure out what the heck you guys were talking about with the whole tie rod thing the other day. I guess I know why now. I forgot the camera today, but I'm heading back down tomorrow. I'll take some pics.
BTW- below is the interior set-up we were thinking of... Just trade port for stbd. It's from the interior of a Gozzard 37.
I'm glad I was able to make stuff clear as mud. As I looked at things a little closer today- the post can stay, it's not going to affect anything where it is.
CHris

PS. the head in the shower thing seemed really weird, until we thought about it... why not? put in a fold down shower seat to keep it from getting too wet and voila-- more space in the head!

Attachments

• Gozzard 37 layout-sm.JPG
    Gozzard 37 layout-sm.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 248

u079721

Contributing Partner
Cabin Post

Here is a photo of the cabin of our 1989 E38 that shows both my lovely wife and the deck tie down post.

Attachments

• Cabin Post.jpg
    Cabin Post.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 56

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Okay Chris you seriously need a little vacation someplace warm. Maybe a few drinks with umbrellas... Or just the barrel of Goslings you initially suggested.

Regarding the tie rod, I see no reason why you could not eliminate it if you added say two stays coming down on either side of the mast to take the load. There was a thread on this going last week. The post does serve as a nice handhold and is more aesthetically pleaseing than turnbuckles IMHO. The bigger question is why would you want to spend the $$$ to gut your boat and build a new interior when you could probably for equal money find a new (to you) boat that fit the bill? Or get a semi custom boat built new? What other than putting the head in the shower would you want different? Okay maybe more insualtion on the ice box...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Ted...
Actually, the more I look at it- the post being so close to the mast makes it not worth moving. The portlight placement will dictate moving the bulkhead, so the post won't really be in the way. Just really thinking out loud.

As far as the other discussion goes- we're planning to do some long term cruising/ live aboard-abroad. So we've been contemplating boats.
We've been shopping for another boat :esad: . Not easy to find one with the kinds of space we're looking for that's not at least 10 yrs old. By the time we got done getting it ready for what we really wanted to do with it, it would cost us more than refitting Sequoia. And, it still doesn't have a layout we're really thrilled with. Other option is buy the boat with the interior we're discussing (Gozzard 37), but it's a big pig. I like going fast :egrin: , can't help it. Plus, we really love the way our boat handles- it's not like sailing a tank (as per Beneteau, Catalina, etc...). So then, we take a boat we love to sail and know sails well and do all the things to it that we complain aren't ever done. Make it the ultimate performance cruiser that doesn't cost at least 1/2 Million $.
Plus- doing this gets us 7-8 years closer to retirement.
Chris