• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

#2 wiring loom, E-27

Luffin it

Member I
I am in the process of stepping the mast on our E-27. I asked the boat yard if there was a wire connection for the number 2 wire loom in the base. They weren't sure but assured me that could just snip the wires? Does anyone know if there is a connector or cannon plug in the base or is that the process and you now add a terminal block or connector?:esad:

Emerald

On my prior E-27, I found that there were existing plug connectors in the mast shoe. On my Independence 31,some wires terminated on a wire block under a piece of trim at the top of the compression post in the head, and some were plug connections inside the foot of the mast. So, before dropping the mast, first check inside the head (you'll need a screwdriver to remove a piece of trim along the compression post) and see if it's terminated there. If not, you can be pretty sure you'll have plug connectors you can undo when you start to lower the mast.

While you're at this, you should add a standpipe to the shoe if it does not already have one. This will prevent water from making it's way down into the cabin etc. Here's a link to adding such a stand pipe:

http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts/standpipe/standpipe.html

Glyn Judson

Mast wires and their plugs.

As with David, I too had a four-pronged plug in my mast that I eliminated when recently remaking the entire wire harness. My wires now go through that pipe and lead to the factory original terminal strip in the head at the top of the compression post. So next time the mast is removed, it'll be a simple matter of unscrewing the four of them in the head prior to lifting. This way there's almost no chance of the wire ends getting corroded from salt water, etc. You could add to an existing harness with lengths of wire sufficiently water-proofed with shrink tubing or liquid 'lectric tape so as to do the same on your boat. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA