• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Buying a 35 Mk III?

JMCronan

Member II
Good afternoon.
I am trying to decide on the pruchase of a 35 III. The boat is a 1986
and is in good shape other than the following:
1. The deck has moisture aft of the bow pulpit thru deck fittings. Has anyone run into this problem?
2. The dorade box has leaked (a common problem). The deck is
a bit soft forward of the mast b/c of this leak. The PO has attempted
a repair, the wench handle box was replaced with a teak cover. How
effective is this repair?
3. When the PO did the dorade box repair resin dripped down and ruined the headliner on the port side of the the mast to the port zipper. How hard will it be to fix/match the headliner?

Any advice would be helpful. I just don't want to end up with more work
than I bargained for. Thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Well, I would not worry too much about deck moisture. But have a surveyor check it out. Most boats of this vinatge will have at least some. You may be able to get the resin off the headliner but that is still a very minor problem. If it is a good hull and the rigging and sails are in good shape then that is a good start. 99% of the used boats you will consider will need some work(my Pearon 28 I sold was turn key:D ). Shoot, even new boats need some work. Use these issues to your advantage when negotiating. Remember that you have the advantage in this situation. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah, you have to be aware of the deck moisture, if it's increasing - where the leak is coming from, etc. If it were me, I would try and determine how large the spot is, and then work to seal it up and dry it out...

The forward leak at the dorade box is a pain in the butt - and typically is for most of us. Like your PO, I put a teak cover over mine - and if the current owner is keeping the compound up to date (it should be pulled off in 2-3 years and rebedded), then it won't leak...

I think another question you should ask yourself is this: Given the fact that purchasing an um, 'vintage' sailboat of any type is going take work on your part, how much quality do you want in the subject to start with? Personally, I would rather start with a boat what was well designed/built from the start and then go forward, rather than purchase a average/poorly built boat that does not have that specific issue (all other things being equal, of course).

A larger issue you'll also want to pay attention to (especially if your 'project adverse') is how much of the boat is original issue. My boat was an 86' - and everything was original - meaning that much of it was nearing the end of it's life. There are other threads that describe this, but you need to be aware of how much of the boat is original, and what that means in terms of your upcoming projects list - expecially if you're not a fan of 'working on the boat'.

E35-3's are great boats - great cruisers, fast enough to race, fun to entertain on. You can handle her alone when short handed, muscle her around at the dock easily, etc. The problems are pretty well documented here and on other sites - but generally, I don't think you'll be sorry. Other E35-3 owners will chime in here, I'm sure...

Post a picture of the boat if you have one... Also, let us know what you decide, and why - we would be interested to hear...

//sse

* If you've never done it - I think lots of owners here will tell you fond stories of 'working on the boat' - lots of quiet solitude, etc - it's actually kind of nice...

Emerald

I have to agree completely with Sean regarding buying a good quality boat that needs some TLC versus a lesser built boat that is "ready to go". If you are willing to roll up your sleaves, you'll find you can do an amazing amount of this work yourself for reasonable prices. Even things like rebuilding your decks are completely within your ability. For some project inspiration, check out this page on my website:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/projects.html

Given your question on decks, make sure you look at the last two entries on mast step repair and recoring my rudder. These go into the major catagory, yet I did both of them plus all standing rigging during my 3 month haul out last winter. I mention this because if you get a plan layed out, it's amazing what you can get through. I had done deck repair before, but the rudder was a new adventure into the world of foam, with many thanks going to Foss Foam for their guidance on approach.

As you contemplate projects, check out these vendors to help reduce sticker shock, especially on items like thru-hulls and hoses:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/

http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/

http://www.defender.com/

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
I've Never Looked Back

We bought our 1985 E35-3 never having sailed one but knowing of the great reputation of Ericsons in general. Our boat has needed some updating which we're gradually doing. And we've had to deal with that pesky winch handle/dorade box. But we absolutely love this boat. From our first sail we realized that this boat sails like a witch! Fast and steady in all conditions and just an absolute joy. The cabin is beautiful and comfortable. And try to find many boats this size with a separate shower stall, which I consider a great amenity. We consider it totally worth the work and expenditure to refurbish this wonderful boat. We would do it all over again! Good luck.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

Steve

Member III
Pic says a thousand words

What can I say, it's a great boat. Read the forms, nothing can't be over come and nothing distracts from it's true abilities, it's all up to you... go for it!:egrin: Steve

Attachments

• DSCN1522.jpg
    DSCN1522.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 836

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
She's a Beauty

Steve,
I bet that a lot of other E-35 Mk-3 owners would like a hi-rez copy of that pic for a desktop background on their computer....
Is that gel coat or an LPU repaint?
In either case: WOW.
:egrin:

Loren

Steve

Member III
Awlgrip

We painted with Awlgrip-flag blue with a clear coat. Now, are you sitting down; this job is now 10 years old, this photo was taken last summer 2006. The clear coat is what keeps it fresh.

The photo was taken by our slip mate, a new $Island Packet$, who we took a pic of also while passing. Clearly two different boats, at 18 knots or less we can actually do circles around him, but when the going gets hard and we're deep reefing the IP is just getting happy..... amazing what a full keel boat can take.

Attachments

• DSCF2735.JPG
    DSCF2735.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 259

JMCronan

Member II
Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate them all.
I'm just waiting for the boat to be hauled so the
surveyor can finish his work. As long as there is no
significant problems with the bottom I am planning on
buying it.

The blue hull is beautiful. Those are the same colors as I
have on my J80.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with questions after
I get the boat to NC and am able to begin working on it.