• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cruising with an E38

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I think Guy has distilled it down for you pretty well. It reminds me of
something the owner of Hodgdon Yachts said when told by the
"experts" that Antonisa's draft was too deep, and she would never float
free of the truck on her launch day, and it would all end in disaster. He
said, "those that say it can't be done, should stay the hell out of the
way of those that are doing it."

Plenty of people out there cruising in much less boat than a 38. I believe
I've seen some that actually had only 1 anchor on the bow! A small,
modest boat that's paid for beats a big, fancy boat with a mortgage hands down in my book.

Martin...

SASSY

Member II
Does size realy matter

"O God thy sea is so big and my boat is so small". People have gone a lot further with a lot less, the E-38 is one hell of a boat. Like all boats you do need to spend some time rigging her for off shore but you could be starting with a lot less than you are. People have circumnavigated in Flicka's a 24 foot Bruce Bingaham designed Pacific sea built cruiser. I will be crossing the Gulf on the 24th of April in the Sol del Sol from St Pete's to Cancun. In preperation for the race and my first time truly off shore I have equiped the boat in acordance with the Category 2 off shore regulations that address a number of your concerns. In preping the boat I have found the build quality of the 87 E-34 to be impecable. We are sloop rigged with running backs, and a removable baby stay with storm sail. Battery capacity was not suficient enough for extended cruising so I added additional batteries under the aft setee which also helped level the boat as the E-34 often lists to starboard when all tanks are full. Lazarett latches have been added and pins to secure the drop boards were also a must. I replaced all hatch, and port light lenses and gaskets last summer eliminating all of our leaks. I have no reservations sailing this boat off shore after a friend of mine sailed to Europe in an Ontario 32. I know the boat will get me there, the only question that remains is can I do the same for her. Sassy II will registered at www.Iboattrack.com for the race I hope you watch our progress and maybe you can find a little comfort knowing that if we make it you can to. Good luck.
On a side note we are originaly from Toronto Canada, my wife, 12 week old son and two dogs moved on to our boat as live aboards last summer. They however won't be joining me on the race but for us this feels more like home than our condo ever did. Running water, a reliable stove and fairweather sailing is all I need to keep everyone happy.
Good luck,
Andy