• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice on purchase of E39B

paul@abracad.co

I'm thinking of buying an E39B. It's the only Ericson for sale in New Zealand. I've attached the advert'.
Looks like the hard dodgers are an afterthought, and home-made looking. I guess that doesn't matter too much so long as they work well. Do you think hard dodgers necessary?
I haven'y viewed this old girl yet but will be doing so soon. If I fall in love with her she wil get plenty of TLC. What should I check for?
Cheers & thanks!

Attachments

• Ericson 39B.doc
    74 KB · Views: 135

wurzner

Member III
Paul,

I have a 1986 38 and the initial appearance is very similiar. I have never been on a 39, but owned a 32 before and will provide general potential non boat specific things that see,m to potentially effect the Ericson brand. You will get more detailed information from Guy Stevens who owned on prior to his 46 and is extremely knowledgable and works in the iddustry.

My 77 had lots of blisters and after peeling the bottom and letting here dry out, I put a new epoxy barrier coat and bottom on. All the blisters (~1500) were dime shaped and superficial with the exception of 2 that did penetrate the matte a little. The 2 in question were still not structural and were easily detected and different from the remaining ~1498. I also put a new rudder on since I was not sure if the old one was saturated since it had a small stress fracture. I used the old stock and in the process, confirmed that the old rudder was fine.

The decks around the hand rails tend to have water ingress that can be an issue, but rarely to the boat of it compromising the boat. It is, however, something that needs to be address and is tyipcally handled buy addting a handrail inside that links to the exterior handrails. Check the documents section for a summary on how to do that.

In short, I have heard very favorable things about the 39. Martin King is on the list and owned on so you might hear back from him. He is a great resource as his father designed the boat and he lived near the Ericson facility if memory serves me right. Also, Seth was the warranty manager for Ericson and you will likely hear from his as well for any 39 specific pros/cons.

In the interim, take a look at the following posting from Guy and stay tuned. You will find this list to be of incredible value.

Cheers
Shaun

Check out the link below from Guy Stevens

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2334&highlight=39

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Nice boat...

I think hard dodgers are fine if they are done well (I like being open to the environment, but I don't sail in the pacific). Other good checks are rigging and chain plates, water ingress via keel,portlights,hatches,mast,etc...; steering systems (I know our steering cables will be due for replacement by the time our boat is 30 years old), and the transmission. It's a sharp looking boat- make sure you let us know how it turns out!
39 and 39B are 2 of my favorite ericson models...
Chris

Guy Stevens

Not really much information to go on there.

The 39's and the 39b's are both solid yachts, will take you anywhere in the world that you would like to go. The dodge is a bit less aesthetic that I would like, but then again so was the one on Pneuma. I would keep it. Sailing down there in New Zealand is often sailing in less than perfect weather. As a matter of fact the worst weather we have sailed in was off the coast of New Zealand.

It sounds like the main issues that generally happen with the 39b's have been addressed, that being the fuel tanks. Also check out the condition of the metal frame that connects the two sides of the forward salon bulkhead, that can also be an issue sometimes.

If you get more information I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Guy Stevens

Lew Decker

Member III
Here is a pic of my E39B, hull #216. Let me know if I can help in any way. These boats make wonderful family cruisers and have an easy motion at sea. Hull #204 is currently cruising Mexico and from all reports, the boat has been everything the owners expected. They also have a hard dodger, but the steering wheel is located forward so it provides some protection. You can see from the pic that my steering station is aft in the cockpit so a companionway dodger wouldn't be much help.

These are terrific boats and you will be happy with your decision if you buy - unless she's been ridden hard over the years without much maintenance. Things to check? I don't know. Nothing ever goes wrong on Serendipity. I worry somewhat about the fuel and water tanks springing leaks because they are inaccessible without cutting up the cabin sole, but...

The PO of my boat had a barrier coat professionally applied and - so far - I haven't had any blister problems. That might change after I haul out this year.

Anyway, best of luck and keep us posted on your boat buying developments. There is an enthusiastic crew on this site who will jump in with great glee if you need help.

Attachments

• e39b.jpg
    e39b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 102

paul@abracad.co

Many thanks for the feedback fellas, all noted. ..and sorry about the double-thread.
I'm going up to take a look at her after Christmas and will post what I find on this thread.
Thanks again.
PL

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Hard Dodger

Another perspective on the hard dodger:

A friend had one on a big Hunter which he replaced with a soft dodger. He didn't sail in horrendous conditions, so I can't address that aspect. The visibility through the dodger was terrible both while sailing and particularly in docking situations. The windows are smaller and the tinting causes a distraction when one is open.

If anyone is interested in a hard dodger off of a Hunter 42DS I can put them in contact with the owner. I suspect that by now it can be had for very little money.

YMMV

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've loved the hard dodgers on a couple Hallberg-Rassey boats I've sailed. I'd even go so far as to say that I might not go voyaging without one (assuming the boat is over 40 feet or so, below that the extra windage might be a liability). The comfort and energy reserved by sitting in a well protected space during watch, especially in stinky conditions is wonderful. Also, you can stand on it to reach a leech line or the like, and you can mount stuff like solar panels or antennas up there, out of the way.

I'm definitely a fan.

In comparison to the Hunter mentioned above, the HR dodgers have much more viewing area than a canvas dodger. And the glass is clear. (I can't imagine why you would tint any view from the cockpit. That sounds dangerous to me. Imagine trying to keep watch at night. :rolleyes:)