• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard for my Ericson 30'

maringirl76

Dear fellow sailors,

I just got an Ericson 30' circa 1968 from my father, who only had it for about a year. The boat is now in good shape (fresh bottom job, good sails and rigging, systems working..) except for the engine.

I would like to know what horse power outboard do I need to get in and out of the slip and the long narrow marina channel, and motor around if we get becalmed. I have good sails and hope to use them for most of the time. The boat would be used in the relatively calm waters of San Francisco Bay. I do know I need to get as long of a shaft as possible to keep the prop in the water.

I understand the ourboard is kinda a cop-out and not a great solution. So this is only a temporary thing to allow me to get some use out of the boat until I can get the inboard engine fixed properly.

Since the inboard engine is an Albin 022 also 1968, it is going to take quite a bit of work to get it running, or may be not be even possible to get to work. This is further complicated by the design and modifications of this particular Ericson, which makes the engine extremely hard to get at. So I am prepared to re-power the boat, but will have to take my time due to cost issues.

The current engine issue is that the transmission slips and will not transmit power to the engine. This only starts happening when the engine has been running for about 2 minutes and is warm. Problem is the engine and transmission share an oil pan and are very hard to get to. Also, since this engine is so old, that even if I got the transmission to work, I just would not trust it not to quit in the middle of the bay.

I have read the posts about outboards, and how you really should use your boat with an inboard if you at all can. In my case, most mechanics who hear even how old this thing is run away screaming. I think I have someone to do the work but I would have to modify my cockpit so they would actually be able to get at the transmission. At this point I would like to go ahead and get an outboard so I can actually get out of the marina.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Outboard

Marinagirl- I think a long-shaft 15 hp will do the trick for you. This should have enough umff to deal with on even crummy days. You might do a little hobby horseing on really rolly days, but that will be the issue with any motor and with all boats with motors hanging off the transom.
Do what is necessary for YOU to get out and use the boat. When or if you ever get the old motor fixed is your Idaho. The most important thing is to have fun! Great having you on the board. Rob Hessenius

escapade

Inactive Member
Congrats & welcome to the "family". I would think that something in the 15HP range with a 3 blade prop would be what you should be looking at. Long shaft and if they offer a "sail" version which would mean a slower turning prop with more pitch that would be worthwhile.
As far as the old engine, sometimes the best way to approach a project like that is to determine what you would have to remove to gain access rather than try to work around stuff. Remember, somebody built this boat out of wood & fiberglass. So you can put it back together with more wood & fiberglass. In other words, sometimes you have to cut somethings out of the way and then figure out how to replace them. Sounds like more work but as long as you don't get too carried away it often times makes the job infinitely easier. Just sit back with a box of "engineering fluid" or a good bottle of wine (since your from California) and look at what you need to move and how you could hide it later.
Sounds like you have a real project but after 3 Ericson's (27, 30+, & 34) I can say that the effort is worth it.
Good luck, have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
My problem with all of this, is that you'll spend $300 for a mounting bracket, and $1000-2500 for a reliable used or new outboard motor. Then you'll spend a day getting it all mounted and everything. If some of that time or money could be spent to get the transmission fixed, I'd Definitely go that route!

Don't worry about the age of the engine. If it runs decently (disregarding the transmission problem for now) then it's a keeper (for now at least). Do what you need to do to get the transmission fixed. You can put a watertight hatch in the cockpit sole for access to the transmission and stuffing box. Adding that will be much quicker than mounting an outboard on the transom.

My 2c. Spend as you see fit. It's your boat! (congrats, by the way! :D)

Nate

bigtyme805

Member III
I will agree with Nate, don't put the money into the outboard unless you never plan to repower the inboard. A good used outboard will run you a grand and a new one will cost about $2500. You will want a 25 inch shaft and only a couple of manufactures make these. You can get away with 9.9hp but 15hp would be better.

Steve Swann

Member III
Not to mention that you are putting a fair amount of weight extremely far aft by installing a large outboard motor. I would have to question whether or not the design would even accept this adequately?

I would keep the inboard and go to the trouble to make it work. That is what the boat was probably better designed for.

I have an 8 hp. inboard Yanmar in my Ericson 25 that is a really, really tight fit. Look at your existing engine and how to access it. There is usually a way to work on the necessary items if you just think through the apparent initial problems.